Which chain do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am slightly confused as to what chain I need to buy as a replacement. I have a new 8 speed Shimano HG50 cassette, so I need something that is compatible with that (they are for a 2010 model Spesh Tricross triple).

There seems to be a distinct lack of 8 speed chains available on chainreaction.com. Will a 9 speed compatible chain be ok?

The only 8 speed Shimano chain I found was this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81

However it is an IG rather than HG chain, and it says it is for older (1996 - 1999) Deore XT drivetrains. Would that do the job?

IIRC a 9 speed chain will fit but an 8sp one is better the brand doesnt matter. I've used a SRAM 8sp chain on a Shimano cassette before without any problems. FWIW looking at the crc site there's plenty of 8sp SRAM chains.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think it matters on brand, my LBS thinks shimano chains are so bad he doesn't even sell them and does SRAM instead. That's what my original 7 speed shimano UGwhatever it was got replaced with several times over.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thank you both. Have now ordered an Sram 8 spd replacement from chainreaction, for use with the new cassette once current chain wears out (which won't be long!).

Top Bottom