Which chain for 105 11-speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Managed to snap my chain today. The Speedlink had completely snapped.

I do take care of my chain - clean and lube after every wet ride, and probably once a week in the dry. But it had suffered when I had an accident a month ago - my daughter had put the bike in the garage wet and salty, and the chain had some corrosion. I hadn’t realised just quite how bad it was .....

Anyway - it’s done 1600 miles since new, so probably time for a new chain. Any recommendations?

The bike (GT Grade 105) came with a KMC X11 chain.

Looks like I have several options - including another KMC X11, or a Shimano HG601 (?).

Any thoughts, options or preferences?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve Abraham has said that he is very surprised at how long lasting and durable Connex Wipperman chains have proven to be.
You can't get a much better recommendation then that.

That's what I will be getting next time I need a chain.

S-Express

Ironically, a Wipperman chain is the only chain which has ever failed on me. I would just buy whatever chain you can find for the lowest price (but not a Wipperman).

simon.r

Person
I'm a big fan of Shimano, with the exception of their chains. KMC or SRAM for me normally, but interesting to see @ianrauk / Steve Abraham's comment on Wipperman...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm a big fan of Shimano, with the exception of their chains. KMC or SRAM for me normally, but interesting to see @ianrauk / Steve Abraham's comment on Wipperman...
From the man himself.

I'm astonished at how well the Connex chains last! They sponsored me for the year record and I grossly overestimated how many chains I would need because I based it on my previous experience of chain wear. These Connex chains are the most enduring I've ever used and I have only used a 3rd of them as a result!

S-Express

From the man himself.

I'm astonished at how well the Connex chains last! They sponsored me for the year record and I grossly overestimated how many chains I would need because I based it on my previous experience of chain wear. These Connex chains are the most enduring I've ever used and I have only used a 3rd of them as a result!

I think I'm beginning to understand why he is such a fan.........

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Thanks all - have gone for a KMC one, same as was originally supplied with the bike.

For a while, I was tempted by a Shimano one, despite what has been said above - simply because it was the only 11 speed chain my local Halfords had in stock, and they’re open til 8pm tonight - but then I remembered its a bank holiday, at least in Scotland, so they’d be on sunday hours, so closed!

So I ordered a KMC one, which will be here later in the week. I’ll remove a link from the old one if I want to go out in the interim - I gave it a good clean with some muc-off degreaser - it was amazing just how much brown grunge came out, and the chain is much more flexible now. It’ll do until the new one arrives.

Top Bottom