Which child's trailer should I choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Blimey, that's very conservative.
The trailer can hold far more then that.

Ian, could II ask a favour? I have been trying to get dimensions of the Adventure AT1, in particular the width, off the internet. I realised that to get to the school off major roads requires going through a point with a bollard that is about 1.2m wide. Could you tell me the width please?

Someone has posted a review on Chainreactioncycles that states the external width with wheels is 72 cm (28").

Thanks

This has been one of the most useful threads I've read in a while, and that's really something!

Now... Does Endomondo have a 'cycling towing spawn' setting?

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

You jest!

Friends of mine set both their children up with accounts and records their mileage!

But back to more serious matters.

Age is a bit controversial.

Chariot do a whole range of accessories from birth to "too bleedin' heavy to pull anymore"

Other people secure car seats in and basically use the same age ranges as the car would have in a car seat.

One site that might interest you is Josie Dew although her attitudes to cycling and children are often seen as a little "eccentric"

Once you have attained that degree of trust in your ability, you can plant a baby on the bike. If you're worried about instability (in my experience, children do anything but keep still), practise cycling with a 15 kilo sack of potatoes - or better still a live cow.Once you have attained that degree of trust in your ability, you can plant a baby on the bike. If you're worried about instability (in my experience, children do anything but keep still), practise cycling with a 15 kilo sack of potatoes - or better still a live cow.

Molly also relishes the speed of the descents - top speed achieved so far is an eye-watering 36mph.
Rocketing downhill on a bike with a whooping infant is probably not the sort of advice you find in your average childcare manual - which is partly why it is so enjoyable. And when I reach the bottom of the hill it is sometimes quite a relief to find Molly still attached to her seat and not lost to the wind a mile back up the road. But for both of us, there is no better way to travel.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ian, could II ask a favour? I have been trying to get dimensions of the Adventure AT1, in particular the width, off the internet. I realised that to get to the school off major roads requires going through a point with a bollard that is about 1.2m wide. Could you tell me the width please?

Someone has posted a review on Chainreactioncycles that states the external width with wheels is 72 cm (28").

Thanks

Yup, I have just measured 70cm's.

400bhp

Guru
Thank you very much. I just went and measured the gap - 1m is probably a prudent guess so 70cm will do nicely.

Stephenite

Membå
Just bought a Croozer Kid For 2!!!!!!!! Secondhand for 2000kr - a little under £200. YAYYYY!!!!

Have to wait until tuesday until we try it out tho. At the moment it's in the lounge - it's a bit big isn't it? There's lots of space behind and under the seats for camping gear, shopping, etc. Very simple to open up and fold down. The wheels come off and on quickly. One thing i'm not overly impressed with is the bracket for attaching to the bike. It hangs on the back-axle, and is not flexible enough to lie the bike down whilst the trailer remains upright. Don't know how important this will turn out to be though as i won't/shouldn't be riding fast enough to crash. That's a thought - can you get studded tyres at 20"?

Lyn

I'm in love with our Croozer Kid for 2. I could go on about it all day - how it's easy to tow, comfy for the kids, how they never get wet in the rain, etc. Yes, you need to buy add-ons like child seats for the really young ones (we used the child seat - not the harness - from about 4 months though our boy was a long lad), and we also bought the rain cover which provides extra protection in downpours. But we've had it for almost 3 years now, our 5yo still fits in on rainy days and the kids love it.
There's more here:
http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/blog/our-future-cyclist-takes-to-the-road.html

irw

Quadricyclist
Hey folks- just to bring this thread back up, I'm currently looking for recommendations for a trailer suitable to take our little one out on some rides, whilst I'm actually at home and not on tour. Most of them seem to be built for two children, which presumably would make it a bit hairy on corners as she'd have to be sat off centre. Unfortunately the Adventure trailers recommended earlier in this thread don't seem to be available anymore, and most of the ones that look half decent seem to commend a somewhat premium price. Now that I'm between jobs, I don't really want to spend a fortune, but at the same time I'd like something safe and ideally not something that has the style of a car from the 70's...Any suggestions?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Some of the trailers for two children actually have three harnesses in them so you can carry one child in the middle or two with one on each side so worth checking an internal photo of some of the two seaters - they might still be appropriate and provide plenty of space for toys and snacks!

Drago

Legendary Member
Hey folks- just to bring this thread back up, I'm currently looking for recommendations for a trailer suitable to take our little one out on some rides, whilst I'm actually at home and not on tour. Most of them seem to be built for two children, which presumably would make it a bit hairy on corners as she'd have to be sat off centre. Unfortunately the Adventure trailers recommended earlier in this thread don't seem to be available anymore, and most of the ones that look half decent seem to commend a somewhat premium price. Now that I'm between jobs, I don't really want to spend a fortune, but at the same time I'd like something safe and ideally not something that has the style of a car from the 70's...Any suggestions?
I can recommend the Spokey Joe as an inexpensive but very capable and reasonably well made and designed trailer. Not sure if they still make them though.

Top Bottom