Which cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Otto Sump

mapmyride handle ottolesump
Hello group, I have just bought myself an entry set of cleated shoes, never worn any before and to be totally honest I wasn't going to utilise the cleats, was just going to use them for everyday cycling. However, now that I have them I'm curious to utilise them, but what I want to know is what kind of pedals do I buy that will suit them. Currently I have standard strapless on a 2012 Specailized cross trial sports disc. I've inserted an image of the shoe with its cleat, hope the link works.
Any advice appreciated, and keep up the great work group.
Regards Otto
2012-08-24173306.jpg

OP
OP
Otto Sump

Otto Sump

mapmyride handle ottolesump
Hello group, I have just bought myself an entry set of cleated shoes, never worn any before and to be totally honest I wasn't going to utilise the cleats, was just going to use them for everyday cycling. However, now that I have them I'm curious to utilise them, but what I want to know is what kind of pedals do I buy that will suit them. Currently I have standard strapless on a 2012 Specailized cross trial sports disc. I've inserted an image of the shoe with its cleat, hope the link works.
Any advice appreciated, and keep up the great work group.
Regards Otto
2012-08-24173306.jpg
Just realised, should be headed "Which pedals" but you get the gist..

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Quick history lesson - pedals are either spd or spd-sl.

spd pedals take cleats with two/four bolts which locate into two parallel slots - which you have.

spd-sl have triangular cleats which screw into 3 holes as per this pic.

Shimano_SH-R098A_SPD-SL.jpg

cleats normally come with pedals so google spd pedals and have a look around - avoiding the above type. You can get single sided or double sided. Look for pedals that take SM-SH51 cleats.

Diggs

Veteran
I picked up some Shimano A530 from Decathlon a few weeks ago. On offer at £30. As they have a flat side too, not only are they very handy for jumping on the bike in ordinary shoes, they also may provide a bit more confidence if you're not used to SPDs.

As above, you need to buy SPD pedals NOT SPD - SL. You have no cleats on those shoes as purchased, the cleats will come with the pedals and need bolting to your shoes. Before tightening the cleats you will notice they move fore and aft and rotate slightly, until you get the position of the cleats correct (for you) you are likely to experience some 'discomfort' on longer rides ~ re-position and persevere!

Zakalwe

Quick history lesson - pedals are either spd or spd-sl.

Don't let Speedplay hear you say that :biggrin:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Any of these pedals will do. MTB (2 bolt cleats) shoes are usually recessed allowing walking easy. And as already stated the cleats come with the pedals.
Beware if you buy pedals 2nd hand, from E-bay or the likes, they may not have cleats. What seemed a bargain could work out expensive.

(Edit) You don't have to buy from EBC I just thought this page would show a wide range of 2 bolt cleat pedals.

Top Bottom