Which comfortable saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisM

I've recently got a new Fuji Newest 1.0 2009 model road bike....however the saddle isn't the most comfortable for long journeys.
Can anyone recommend a saddle that's comfortable but won't look out of place on a road bike??

Cheers
Chris:biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
Vanity or comfort....mmmmmmmmmmm?

Comfort....B17 narrow.

<take cover>INCOMING !<take cover/>

ACS

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
Nah. B17 standard

I have B17 standard on my commuter and a narrow on the Tricross. Up until a month ago I would have agreed but I have discovered the narrow is even more comfortable, if that is possible. Its a shape thing, one mans meat etc

Let all agree that Brooks is the saddle to have xx(

GrahamG

Guru
Brooks are for intended old bikes or old fashioned bikes, full-stop. If that weren't the case, they'd have saddle rails longer than your average ant. I've raised this issue with them but not had a response yet - shame really because they're comfortable if you can actually get the saddle back far enough, not an easy task on a modern road frame for some people.

It's such a widely acknowledged problem that Velo Orange in the US actually felt the need to get seatposts made especially to solve it...
http://www.velo-orange.com/vogrcrusepol.html

Davidc

Guru
satans budgie said:
I have B17 standard on my commuter and a narrow on the Tricross. Up until a month ago I would have agreed but I have discovered the narrow is even more comfortable, if that is possible. Its a shape thing, one mans meat etc

Let all agree that Brooks is the saddle to have ;)

I'll have to come clean then and admit that I've only experienced the narrow for about 1/2 mile - someone elses, on his bike.

I do also aknowledge that some people have different shaped backsides and don't find the Brooks saddles at all comfortable, so recommendations do need to be qualified by that.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Specialized Avatar was pitched at long distance comfort. Got measured for one, tried it, OK for up to 2 hours, then not fun.
Now riding Brooks Swift....lovely.

ACS

Legendary Member
ChrisM said:
Cheers was considering a Brooks...just didnt know if it would look out of place on my road bike......;)

Trust me us after a couple of hours on a saddle that has become in instrument of torture (Specialized Toupe for me, how I suffered, but a lot of people on here love it) you will not care what other people think about your mighty steed. Most of the time your perch is hidden so who cares what it looks like?

Be kind to your Bum :biggrin:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Someone should warn him that it may take some time to break-in a Brooks. For many people, it isn't very comfortable until you get some miles on it. Mine was fairly comfortable from day 1, though.

Top Bottom