Which commuting tyre please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusky

CC Addict
I very much doubt you would get 23s on those rims. 25 possibly.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
My Dawes hybrid has Marathon plus 35mm front and rear, which tbh are a little too wide but then again I only ride this in the depths of Winter. I've done a tad under 5k on these without a puncture. If I rode this bike through the year, I'd have 28s on.

My Spesh Allez road bike has an M+25mm rear, and Durano+23mm front. I've done just under 4k without a puncture. I did originally have a Durano+ on the rear, but got a puncture after 200 miles, hence switched to M+ on the rear. Imho, this is the best road bike/puncture free/but still quick commuting set up.

I've only done 300 miles on my Baccetta Styrada recumbent but it takes 650 tyres, which is a size that Schwalbe don't cover. I'm trying Conti Gatorskins, as these seem to be the best available in this stupid size. I've added a Panaracer Flataway liner on the rear for extra protection. These kevlar liners are far far better (but more expensive) than the slime liners.

They're 32 believe it or not, I was surprised as they don't look that big.

Assuming your hybrid rims are 25mm width (mine are) then 28mm would prob be best. 23s are a definite no no. This link http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html has a tyre/rim width chart (in red and green near the bottom of the page) that seems complete b******* to me!

D

Deleted member 1258

The Bontrager Racelite that you have are very good tyres - very puncture resistant and durable. The cuts you refer to are superficial. But I agree, they're a bit iffy in the wet.

Thats interesting, I been on hardcases for several years now and I've had no problems in the wet or or in the snow and ice. I've also had no problems with them cutting up. The only thing I've noticed is that they are a little pressure sensitive, if I let the pressure drop off to much I can feel it very quickly.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thats interesting, I been on hardcases for several years now and I've had no problems in the wet or or in the snow and ice. I've also had no problems with them cutting up. The only thing I've noticed is that they are a little pressure sensitive, if I let the pressure drop off to much I can feel it very quickly.

Snow and ice ehh?

From another thread I got the impression that you ride a fixed wheel bike, which kinda makes sense.

I find the my 28mm Bonti very unnerving in the wet and sub-zero temps.

I've been riding my 26 x 1.5" M+ (got two bikes) the last couple of weeks with absolute confidence. Perhaps the confidence comes from wider tyres rather than the tyre profile.

My Bonti have several large cuts (carcass still perfect) after 3k miles, but I reckon I can easily double the mileage before I need to replace.

I run Bontrager race lite hardcases and have done for some years now - I briefly switched to Marathon pluses after seeing them so highly recommended on this forum, but... they were twice the price, significantly slower to ride, slippier in the wet and no better in terms of puncture resistance. The hardcases do get lots of surface cuts, but its very rare for anything to go through the puncture resistant layer (I usually replace after this happens twice on one tyre as they seem to be a sign of the end of life of the tyre).

In snow and ice nothing will grip well unless its studded (or so I'm told...)

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I got my Marathon+ from Amazon and they doing them for a good price. I mighty nice to know when you got an early start the pu***ure fairy is unlikely to have visited overnight! This is worth putting up with the weight and the rather iffy wet weather grip.

kishan

go for the Schwalbe Marathon

BSRU

A Human Being
I ditched my M+'s a year ago when it finally dawned on me that it's only advantage of excellent puncture resistance was outweighed by the various disadvantages, weight, harsh ride, poor in the wet and not great for accelerating away from a standing start(important when commuting). Happily been using GP4 Seasons since, which can be picked up for 30 quid each if you keep a look out for any special offers.

mattsr

I would definitely recommend Marathon +. I've been commuting on them for well over two years now without a single puncture. They may be a little heavier than some others, but that is a small price to pay for the peace of mind they offer- and I have to say I haven't had any problems using them in wet weather, as BSRU seems to have done.

BSRU

A Human Being
I would definitely recommend Marathon +. I've been commuting on them for well over two years now without a single puncture. They may be a little heavier than some others, but that is a small price to pay for the peace of mind they offer- and I have to say I haven't had any problems using them in wet weather, as BSRU seems to have done.
They are not problems but disadvantages, my Marathon Winters have similar disadvantages but I do not mind them.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Marathon Plus every time. If you look at the actual rolling-resistance figures, they are no different to standard Marathons, and the small weight penalty is well worth it for the fit-and-forget nature of the tyres.

BSRU

A Human Being
I know it is not really practical for most people, but I was able to do a comparison, one weekend put my M+'s back on but after three days commuting I'd had enough of them and changed back to GP4 Seasons, oh the joy.
If someone's main concern is punctures then I would recommend M+'s for their peace of mind, if that criteria is not so important to them then I would not.

boydj

Legendary Member
I know it is not really practical for most people, but I was able to do a comparison, one weekend put my M+'s back on but after three days commuting I'd had enough of them and changed back to GP4 Seasons, oh the joy.

I keep my joy for the week-end. I'd rather have the reassurance of the M+ for the commute and get the additional benefit of a little more training effort required on the hills and sprints away from traffic lights. Horses for courses.

Top Bottom