Which cycling computer for navigation???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Edge touring plus does everything you're asking for. Why not get another one? Garmin will do a 'refurb/battery replacement/exchange' on your old unit for under £100 even if out of warranty.

If you haven't already discovered that your Edge can give turn by turn directions, beep warnings, flash up the junction view & tell you how far & how long to reach the turn etc., you'll not find another device that is any more understandable.

This applies to routes created with RWGPS or any other mapping software, create as GPX file & upload to your device.

As far as typing in a location is concerned, I don't know of any device that does this reliably and doesn't direct you down gravel tracks etc. and nobody with any sense bothers with it.

View attachment 412486
Thanks may try and fix/get mine fixed first. Never really used the routing options on it after the first few weeks having got lost on several occasions. Downloaded gpx files work fine as long as you have the re-routing option off. The beep stopped working a few months ago though.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Another Wahooligan here.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks that’s brilliant. No didn’t know you could replace the battery. I think it might be the charger USB connector that is the problem as it won’t even try and charge. But if I can get inside I may be able to fix it.
Just buy a new charging cable, it is only a few pounds on the bay.
You can test the cable theory if you have another (from a mobile maybe) that fits.
I think it's the battery, mine started failing after about 4 years of daily use, they can only be recharged so many times.

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Just buy a new charging cable, it is only a few pounds on the bay.
You can test the cable theory if you have another (from a mobile maybe) that fits.
I think it's the battery, mine started failing after about 4 years of daily use, they can only be recharged so many times.
Yeah I have tried a couple of leads and still nothing. There is some green residue around the plug so it’s possible that some water has got in. I will try and take it apart see if I can clean it up and if that doesn’t work will try another battery. Was starting to go flat after 4-5 hours prior to failing so may well be that.

Tips above about extending the life of your current one sound good.

Probably the best way forward.

If you want a new one, Garmin Etrex20 (now the 20x) - uses AA rechargeables which of course you will never have a problem with.

Top Bottom