Which cycling computer for navigation???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve07711

Hi All

Really need some advice. My Garmin edge touring plus has packed up and I need a replacement. All I want is a unit that doesn’t cost a fortune that I can download my Strava route too and will give me turn by turn instructions and beep at me when I get to a turn. Would also like to be able to type in a location and get it to guide me there on a road and not a gravel trail or canal path.I have done a great deal of googling of devices and have just confused myself. Could anyone help ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Wahoo good if you can pre plan routes, not as good as a garmin for routing on the fly (although I might have been unlucky). If that's your main use, get another garmin. What's your definition of not a fortune?

DC Rainmaker is the Oracle on such things

Have you contacted Garmin support about your Edge, as they do have a good rep for helping with out of warranty issues

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Thanks. Would say it’s well out of warranty. Just won’t charge anymore. Don’t really want to pay more than £250. Looked at the wahoo but I do like the colour maps. The Garmin 1000 seems best for mapping but is pretty expensive. Anyone used the mio cyclo 315 ?

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Mostly used my edge touring for following GPX routes. Although I didn’t use the routing features as they were generally rubbish and always seemed to try and route you through fields or bridleways.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mostly used my edge touring for following GPX routes. Although I didn’t use the routing features as they were generally rubbish and always seemed to try and route you through fields or bridleways.
That's probably a risk with all as they are designed for cycling not just on roads. Maybe give a Wahoo a go, very easy for syncing with Ride with GPS for turn by turn. Bolt around £200, the bigger Elemnt, £250

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

That's probably a risk with all as they are designed for cycling not just on roads. Maybe give a Wahoo a go, very easy for syncing with Ride with GPS for turn by turn. Bolt around £200, the bigger Elemnt, £250

Thanks. Does it give you audible prompts for turns , Junction’s etc ?

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Thank you read through all these and reckon I might give the Wahoo a try. Seems to have everything I need at a reasonable price.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just won’t charge anymore.
Hi!
Did you know that you can change the battery?
It is quite simple, much cheaper than buying a new unit.
I bought a new battery for my aged Garmin 200, works as new now - mind, I lost the "Beep" because I don't have a solder gun, but that wasn't important to me.
Link to a you tube video on how to change the battery: you don't have to buy that particular kit, there are other vendors.
I bought the battery from Amazon, the tool to open the Garmin's case from a local hardware shop.

13 rider

Guru
Wahoo user routes plotted on Strava do not give turn by turn indications or audilbe warning I use ridewithgps which does give turn by turn . I love my wahoo by the way

User269

Edge touring plus does everything you're asking for. Why not get another one? Garmin will do a 'refurb/battery replacement/exchange' on your old unit for under £100 even if out of warranty.

If you haven't already discovered that your Edge can give turn by turn directions, beep warnings, flash up the junction view & tell you how far & how long to reach the turn etc., you'll not find another device that is any more understandable.

This applies to routes created with RWGPS or any other mapping software, create as GPX file & upload to your device.

As far as typing in a location is concerned, I don't know of any device that does this reliably and doesn't direct you down gravel tracks etc. and nobody with any sense bothers with it.

P5166603.jpg

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Hi!
Did you know that you can change the battery?
It is quite simple, much cheaper than buying a new unit.
I bought a new battery for my aged Garmin 200, works as new now - mind, I lost the "Beep" because I don't have a solder gun, but that wasn't important to me.
Link to a you tube video on how to change the battery: you don't have to buy that particular kit, there are other vendors.
I bought the battery from Amazon, the tool to open the Garmin's case from a local hardware shop.
Thanks that’s brilliant. No didn’t know you could replace the battery. I think it might be the charger USB connector that is the problem as it won’t even try and charge. But if I can get inside I may be able to fix it.

Debade

Über Member
You can get the beeps BEFORE the turn on ridewithgps if you pay their monthly fee. The beep comes after the turn with their free version. This is how the Garmine 500 worked.

I now have the Garmin 820 and it beeps before the turn even if I load my routes from the free version of ridewithgps. I like the maps and how it integrates with the Varmin radar device.

Top Bottom