Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I'm looking at a new GPS for road biking, and like the Wahoo. I just can't decide between the original element or the newer bolt. They both seem to offer the same features, apart from the bolt has a smaller battery and less LED's.
Anyone here use them, I've heard that the firmware is now a lot better.

kipster

Guru
I'm looking at a new GPS for road biking, and like the Wahoo. I just can't decide between the original element or the newer bolt. They both seem to offer the same features, apart from the bolt has a smaller battery and less LED's.
Anyone here use them, I've heard that the firmware is now a lot better.
I use a bolt, it is a great device. I was using a Garmin 510, but it started crashing on routes, did the factory reset bit, but that didn't fix it. My son now uses it, he doesn't rely on routes. The bonus of the bolt is the inclusion of maps (which the 510 couldn't do, so not really a fair comparison). The ability to sync routes from strava or ridewithgps easily is a bonus, the screen is easy to read in all light conditions, the LED's are difficult to see in sunlight. New firmware gets released fairly regularly and the unit has performed faultlessly.

The bolt and the larger elemnt are the same apart from the battery size. I tend to charge the bolt up once a week, that gets me through 150 miles, 3 or four rides and still has 30% ish left, so the claimed 15 hours seems about right. Colour maps don't bother me, the ones on the bolt are easy for me to read.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I use a bolt, it is a great device. I was using a Garmin 510, but it started crashing on routes, did the factory reset bit, but that didn't fix it. My son now uses it, he doesn't rely on routes. The bonus of the bolt is the inclusion of maps (which the 510 couldn't do, so not really a fair comparison). The ability to sync routes from strava or ridewithgps easily is a bonus, the screen is easy to read in all light conditions, the LED's are difficult to see in sunlight. New firmware gets released fairly regularly and the unit has performed faultlessly.

The bolt and the larger elemnt are the same apart from the battery size. I tend to charge the bolt up once a week, that gets me through 150 miles, 3 or four rides and still has 30% ish left, so the claimed 15 hours seems about right. Colour maps don't bother me, the ones on the bolt are easy for me to read.
Great summary, many thanks. I've never used any cycling CPS so have nothing to compare against. I've not even used any of the sensors before, only have a basic computer that measures speed.
One thing I would like to do is upload routes that have been created by our cycling club, can this be done with the Bolt. Also, does it give you a proper map for navigation for pre-determined routes?
Not too worried about the lights, it looks like you get some warning on screen anyway?

Jason

Already own the Garmin 800, but it makes an interesting alternative to the top end Garmin devices. @kipster battery life is on par with mine, so I don't see any standout features

kipster

Guru
@Jasonbourne experience in the cycling club I'm in suggests Garmin 800 battery life when navigating in much reduced? I only replaced the 510 as it kept crashing when following a route, it was otherwise a good device. I've not tired the 8xx series, a lot in the club have them and swear by them. The bigger elemnt battery life is 17 hours.

@Andywinds You can upload Strava routes, but this doesn't offer turn by turn navigation, but that can be done on ridewithgps. So it depends what the club issues it's routes on, if its Garmin connect, it is possible to export a GPX file and upload that to ridewithgps then send to the elemnt. If its Strava you just duplicate the route do that it's in your profile then sync the elemnt. Most of my rides are done in the country lanes / villages / small towns and the maps work fine, I've not used it in a city so I don't know if the maps gets crowded with all the roads, but you can zoom in / out as needed.

You get the maps with the route marked on it.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

@Jasonbourne experience in the cycling club I'm in suggests Garmin 800 battery life when navigating in much reduced? I only replaced the 510 as it kept crashing when following a route, it was otherwise a good device. I've not tired the 8xx series, a lot in the club have them and swear by them. The bigger elemnt battery life is 17 hours.

@Andywinds You can upload Strava routes, but this doesn't offer turn by turn navigation, but that can be done on ridewithgps. So it depends what the club issues it's routes on, if its Garmin connect, it is possible to export a GPX file and upload that to ridewithgps then send to the elemnt. If its Strava you just duplicate the route do that it's in your profile then sync the elemnt. Most of my rides are done in the country lanes / villages / small towns and the maps work fine, I've not used it in a city so I don't know if the maps gets crowded with all the roads, but you can zoom in / out as needed.

You get the maps with the route marked on it.
Thanks Kipster, I believe that they post up the routes from Strava to the web site. So it should be easy enough to do on the device. I've got to wait anyway before I can buy as they are out of stock on Wiggle.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

@13 rider uses a bolt (I think)
From what I have read it does seem a good choice for me. Not sure if I require all the niceties of the Edge 1000.

Lee_M

Guru
I got the Bolt to replace my 800 (and as it happens sold the 800 for a decent sum)

I love it, never need to connect it to a pc, all controlled from my phone, automatically syncs pinned routes from ridewithgps and strava, and automatically loads up rides when I've finished.
B&W screen also means I can read it in the sunlight, and it also pops up txt messages and calls as they arrive on my phone so I can see if I can ignore them without stopping to check my phone.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I got the Bolt to replace my 800 (and as it happens sold the 800 for a decent sum)

I love it, never need to connect it to a pc, all controlled from my phone, automatically syncs pinned routes from ridewithgps and strava, and automatically loads up rides when I've finished.
B&W screen also means I can read it in the sunlight, and it also pops up txt messages and calls as they arrive on my phone so I can see if I can ignore them without stopping to check my phone.
Thanks Lee. I'm pretty much sold on them now :-)

13 rider

Guru
Yes I use a bolt and love it simple to use which is good for me . The only real difference between the element and the bolt is screen size . There is now an element mini which is cheaper but needs a smart phone to do the GPS . I plot route on ridewithgps GPS and the bolt syncs with WiFi and uploads the route simple . Map is basic black and white but day enough to follow . I love my bolt never had a Garmin but can't compare not issue I've had is when I let the battery go flat but you get about a good 12 hours

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have the Elemnt (not bolt) which is the same but different. Bigger for night rides and because I want it for touring and Audax. I have switched the leds off to save power on longer rides. I get over 200km on mine using a Turn By Turn route.

As upthread, DC Rainmaker 's review is good. I love mine and I don't miss my Garmin.

Top Bottom