Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Enjoy , you will love it . So simple to use even I can cope with the tec
I've got a RideWithGPS and Komoot accounts setup to see which one is better. As I would like turn by turn navigation I have downloaded some GPX routes from strava and uploaded them to Ridewithgps. The bolt gets here tomorrow, so I can have a proper look then.

13 rider

Guru
I use ridewithgps with this you get turn by turn instructions . I have planned a route on strava and I didn't get turn by turn instruction think you need strava premium . Never used komoot . The bolt just sync over WiFi to linked accounts

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I use ridewithgps with this you get turn by turn instructions . I have planned a route on strava and I didn't get turn by turn instruction think you need strava premium . Never used komoot . The bolt just sync over WiFi to linked accounts
I do have a premium account with Strava, so I will see how it all works then. Cheers!

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Strava routes don't give turn by turn instructions on the elemnts.
Maybe they will fix this, as they seem to support the Premium function? I can get by with RidewithGPS anyway, I don't have that many routes. Just handy when I download a new route from someone else.

I'm seriously considering buying a Wahoo Element Bolt as the reviews on here and elsewhere are exceptionally good.

My Garmin Edge Tour device that I bought about 18 months ago has been an appallingly unreliable bit of kit. It often ceases to give route directions mid ride and I have completely lost faith in it. The only thing that puts me off a bit about the Wahoo is that it appears all rides have to be planned on RideswithGPS in order to produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo Bolt. I use www.cycle.travel for route planning and it picks the quietest route for you between the chosen start and finish points. I don't really want to spend the time painstakingly creating routes via RideswithGPS when I am happy with Cycle.travel doing it for me. But it seems routes created in cycle.travel will not produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo.

I'm actually surprised that Wahoo users are satisfied with the labour intensive requirement of having to trace their routes in rideswithGPS for routes they wish to follow. Or am I missing something?

13 rider

Guru
@Littgull You maybe able to download a box file from cycle travel to an android device phone which your bolt is synced with and this will upload to the head unit .
When I get time I will try it for you
I personally like planing my own routes

13 rider

Guru
@Littgull . I have gave it go and the route uploaded to the head unit but did not turn by turn instructions as you thought . You would be able to follow the route but would get no notifications of turns like you do with ridewithgps .
I get regular emails from wahoo and they and constantly upgrading the software if I here they do coming with cycle travel I will let you now
When I have a bit more time I will have a play with cycle travel and the bolt as it looks a good website

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm seriously considering buying a Wahoo Element Bolt as the reviews on here and elsewhere are exceptionally good.

My Garmin Edge Tour device that I bought about 18 months ago has been an appallingly unreliable bit of kit. It often ceases to give route directions mid ride and I have completely lost faith in it. The only thing that puts me off a bit about the Wahoo is that it appears all rides have to be planned on RideswithGPS in order to produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo Bolt. I use www.cycle.travel for route planning and it picks the quietest route for you between the chosen start and finish points. I don't really want to spend the time painstakingly creating routes via RideswithGPS when I am happy with Cycle.travel doing it for me. But it seems routes created in cycle.travel will not produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo.

I'm actually surprised that Wahoo users are satisfied with the labour intensive requirement of having to trace their routes in rideswithGPS for routes they wish to follow. Or am I missing something?

We have the same Garmin.

I've not used mine much, but as an example of cussodness it acted up badly on the Cheshire circuit we did.

The Wahoo device maps are only basic and black and white, which might not matter to you, but a more direct alternative to your Garmin would be this device from the Ordnance Survey.

Colour screen and the Landranger maps we know and love.

No idea how well it works, or how well it shakes hands with routing websites.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps/cycling/two-nav-anima-bundle.html

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Many thanks @13 rider and @Pale Rider for your help and suggestions - much appreciated.

Rob, are you doing @nickyboy Leeds - Scarborough ride on 30th September? I am, with @ColinJ. Hope to see you on it too.

I've not thrown my cap into the ring for that one, although doing some of it is a possibility.

What I may do is drive to Scarborough and solo the ride in reverse until I meet a friendly - or at least a known - face coming the other way.

Malton for lunch would be a realistic target.

I shall keep an eye on the thread to see if anyone posts details of where you are stopping.

Hopefully @nickyboy won't mind my late entry if I make one a day or two beforehand.

Top Bottom