Which degreaser for the drivechain is best please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I believe that may just be a slightly flippant reply....
Can you get it down at Wickes.....the one with the tank parked outside.

There was a time. No it was Screwfix.
Now I lost my licence

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not sure why you want to degrease your chain, if you mean as a precursor to cleaning it I'd use diesel and wipe off really well. I then like to apply chainsaw oil (again diluted with a bit of diesel).

I rarely degrease mine, but after a really muddy weekend abusing the MTB, the chain gets a bath in SF stuff, rinsed, oiled, and swapped with the second chain (otherwise I wipe it with a rag). The SF stuff isn't as nasty as white spirit, and it's ace at cleaning baths and kitchen surfaces, and oil spils on the drive.... multi use.

White spirit stinks.

biketrailerguy

Screw Fix No Nonsense Degreaser

Another vote for this.
Not so much used for cleaning bits of my bike (I'd hate for it to start looking nickable) but cleaning assorted bits of bike scrap I find.
It does a great job re cleaning cassettes - that before they've been dismantled - look like previous owner has been growing tomatoes in them.
Great stuff - imo, anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depleted?

You disappoint me.

Well, times are tight you know. I keep the weapons grade stuff for baking and getting brake dust off my alloys.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My chain gets a good helping of the "Mickle Method" after a wet ride, or at least weekly.

If I'm doing a concours full-on clean I will use diluted Screwfix no-nonsense degreaser from a spray bottle, on a chain brush like this one to clean the cassette and the chain. Alternatively two old washing up sponges with a squirt of the diluted degreaser do a good job on the chain as well.

Then let it dry & re-lube..

https://www.halfords.com/motorcycli...F4McMeIXsw7veXJ2oM-jh4RdYME7rJqxoCn9YQAvD_BwE

If it is really mucky and/or I have been riding on a lot of gritty paths in the wet then I use the SF degreaser diluted in one of those cheap blue plastic things - works really well but does make a bit of a mess do doing it in the kitchen would be problematic

does mean I don;t have to prat about taking the whole chain off the bike to clean it

Then scrub the cogs and gear change with an old toothbrush

then rinse the whole thing with the hosepipe before putting more lube on it

seems to work OK

Top Bottom