Which degreaser to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want to buy a degreaser to clean my bike, and not sure which one to buy. Any recommendations? Is degreaser and just soapy water with fairy liquid good enough to clean my bike?

13 rider

Guru
I use a car one , Gunk but the bio one much cheaper than bike specific ones . I get mine from Halfords

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Cheap 2 litre bottle of coke. My mechanic mate swears by it. Never tried myself though so not sure if it actually works well. Bit worrying if it did as people drink that stuff!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dawn dishwashing liquid. If really gunky, then I clean the smaller parts with Dawn dishwashing liquid in a crock pot, dedicated to that use. The crock pot has a plastic lid, so it is quite useless as a crock pot. Light plastic lid lifts off and lets the steam out.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
WD40 or white spirit.

Lovacott

Über Member
I want to buy a degreaser to clean my bike, and not sure which one to buy.

The best degreaser is steam followed by very hot water. Detergent simply helps a bit.

When you degrease anything mechanical, it's not really the grease which you are trying to get rid of. It's the dirt and grit which turns that grease into a grinding paste which is the enemy.

I use Fairy liquid in boiling hot water on a nylon dustpan brush to scrub the chain and sprockets and then rinse it off straight after with very hot water from a watering can.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Screw Fix No-nonsence degreaser. 5l for less than £10. Diluted lasts ages and is ace for cleaning all sorts of stuff.
Local screwfix direct, a gallon of the stuff is £8.99
I have been using screwfix degreaser recently, I sure this product has already been mentioned in a previous thread . My question Is what are others experience of rates of dilution for different tasks . I know I could experiment myself, but easier to tap into the know ledge that exists on the forum.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I use white spirit. It gets rid of all the gunk. A wash afterwards with soapy water.

Top Bottom