Which disc hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I am in the (slow) process of building up a new bike from a frame which I have been given. I want to use Avid BB7 disc brakes. As ready made 700c disc wheels are less than common, I have decided to buy the components and build them myself. So I would like some advice on which disc hubs to use, are Shimano Deore M525 any good, or should I go for something else??

MichaelM

Guru
I'd suggest trying to get hold of a set of second hand Hope XC hubs. They often come up on the Singletrack classifieds, or try a wanted ad there. Cartridge bearings, easily serviced, spares support from Hope.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I am quite happy to buy new, I am just trying to find a pair of good mid range hubs, so that I know which look for.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You can't really go wrong with Shimano hubs. They are pretty much fit and forget. I would personally buy a more expensive hub than Deore, and you can find NOS hubs very cheap on EBAY

Just make sure the rear is the right OLN for your frame. What is the rear OLN measurement on the Croix de fer?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
oh, its the Over Lock Nut measure, ie the distance between the rear drop-outs.

ALL* MTB hubs will be 135
A lot of Road hubs are 130

Disc hubs are mostly MTB hubs, so you may have the problem of finding a rear hub that is 130, and can take a disc..

*ok a few are different

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You could do a lot worse than the bontager select disc wheels btw
http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Bontrager-Select-Disc-Road-700c-Rear-135-Mm-Black-Anodized.aspx

Top Bottom