Which dynamo !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdie

Hi all! :hello:
I just bid on ebay for a used Miller dynamo lights set for my 60's Raleigh because it looked like one I saw on this Raleigh Rapier which is similar to my bike, but didn't win it! Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what make would've been used on 60's Raleigh's. This is the photo of the Rapier. Would it be a 'Miller' dynamo set or doesn't it matter? Would you have bought the lights yourself or would they have come with the bike? Excuse me if I'm being a bit being thick :blush:
$_86.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would say that that is more or less correct for the period. As a kid I remember having a Miller set on my bike,c1965. Halfords did a dynamo set at around that time as well.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They'll often drive a bright LED lamp quite happily, even if the period lamps were a bit meh. But yes, bottle dynamos are generally horrible: eat tyres, slip in the rain, noisy. Their one saving grace is that they have no drag when "off".

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

I would say that that is more or less correct for the period. As a kid I remember having a Miller set on my bike,c1965. Halfords did a dynamo set at around that time as well.
Thanks for your reply, yes I've seen a few Halfords sets but wasn't sure of their age. Cheers! :smile:

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Just don't expect a lot of brightness
Well no! I want one more for authenticity than practicality anyway! Just as well eh? :laugh:

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

As @biggs682 said don’t expect a lot of brightness.
Expect your rear tyre sidewall to wear.
Expect to have no lighting when stopped at a junction or at traffic lights!
Oh right okay, that would be the other downside. Still, I'm more a daytime cycler so really just want to enhance the vintageness of my bike ^_^

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

I understand that .

In fact I use to have a couple of sets in the garage .
Oh really! They're asking a fair bit on ebay for them in working condition and they are very popular, although there is one quite cheap going at the mo, but the dynamo has seized up. It could just be the rust but I don't know.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh really! They're asking a fair bit on ebay for them in working condition and they are very popular, although there is one quite cheap going at the mo, but the dynamo has seized up. It could just be the rust but I don't know.

Sure i sold my last 2 sets a while back for £15 ea , i do have a rear 3 speed dyno hub ?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have this Halfords 6v bottle dynamo. It was working when I took it off my bike some 45 years ago. It is missing the bracket that goes around the seat stays, but it is yours for the postage should you want it.
15641598551012961407713720768764.jpg
15641598849505444913643781476224.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom