Which E-Assist For 2009 QNT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WIGHTDIAMOND

OK, the hills around my house are killing me and would like a little (a lot) of e-assistance to get up the beggars. :biggrin:

Looking on eBay there seem to be a plethora from 500w up to 72v and 3000w. I have a 20" rear wheel which I think I'll keep or with the e-assist would I be better upping that to a 26"?

Slightly confused about the best system to go for and would like to keep things around or under £500ish..

Your (e) assistance would be most appreciated!

Wont say I told you so , could have had mine complete !

try BMSbattery.com for a street legal q100 ( 328 rpm for 20" wheels ) system with a 20" Wheel
Won't come out under £500 for any good system .

regards emma

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Wont say I told you so , could have had mine complete !

try BMSbattery.com for a street legal q100 ( 328 rpm for 20" wheels ) system with a 20" Wheel
Won't come out under £500 for any good system .

regards emma

Thanks Emma. Knew you'd say that! :biggrin:

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

When we say "street legal".. I hold a full motorcycle license so presumably as long as I registered, taxed and insured correctly I could put whichever electric motor I want on there?

When we say "street legal".. I hold a full motorcycle license so presumably as long as I registered, taxed and insured correctly I could put whichever electric motor I want on there?

Technically Yes but the process is paved with many flaws - Just ask at your local DVLA office for some remarkable strange faces and of course safety , would be frowned on - Then you will need to find a taxation class that it fits etc and finally after you have a registration number some company that would insure you . read The EAPC regulations on what you can and cannot do easily !
basically no throttle (since last year ) 3 braked wheels , 250w and 15 mph is the legal lot!

I will get my coat !

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Technically Yes but the process is paved with many flaws - Just ask at your local DVLA office for some remarkable strange faces and of course safety , would be frowned on - Then you will need to find a taxation class that it fits etc and finally after you have a registration number some company that would insure you . read The EAPC regulations on what you can and cannot do easily !
basically no throttle (since last year ) 3 braked wheels , 250w and 15 mph is the legal lot!

I will get my coat !

Good grief. I can pedal it faster than that! :biggrin: Oh well, sounds like the 65mph motor I found might have to wait then..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've been looking at the same thing, and was considering the Bafang BBS02 mid drive units. Available in a range of power levels, and you can pretty much build it how you want it in terms of battery capacity. Some reports of a gear failing in the box which you can buy a metal replacement for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bafang-M...52df159e:m:mEhDmc__6KyrCBsTZRewK-A:rk:13:pf:0

I've not done it since I can't justify the cost for the number of miles I do on the Q, and the fact that it's geared so very low I can ride up steep hills very very slowly

plantfit

Guru
would I be better upping that to a 26"?

If you do opt for a 26 inch rear wheel you will need to change the rear triangle as well,have you considered changing the gear ratio's? I struggled up a couple of hills on my regular ride so changed the rear set from 11-32 teeth to 11-36 teeth, found it much easier to get up the hills with less stopping to get my breath back, as I get older/weaker I might look at a 12-40 teeth set up,Tigerbiten is the man to ask about gearing

Is the ICE Q trike your "first " recumbent and could you manage them there hills on an upwrong two wheeler ??
I suspect lack of recumbent "flying hours " might well be the reason for poor results at this stage ?

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Is the ICE Q trike your "first " recumbent and could you manage them there hills on an upwrong two wheeler ??
I suspect lack of recumbent "flying hours " might well be the reason for poor results at this stage ?

Thanks guys. No, this is my first recumbent and I do need to get used to it. It wasn't terrible, if I'm honest but certainly very slow going and tedious. The hill that has to be climbed is fair steep and about 3/4 of a mile with no break. Would be lovely to have some help to just get past that hill and on to more reasonable ground.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Thanks guys. No, this is my first recumbent and I do need to get used to it. It wasn't terrible, if I'm honest but certainly very slow going and tedious. The hill that has to be climbed is fair steep and about 3/4 of a mile with no break. Would be lovely to have some help to just get past that hill and on to more reasonable ground.

Which hill was it?

Top Bottom