Which Energy Gel? Whats in your pocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dobz

Regular
Which energy gel should i be using on 80+ mile rides?.... current fave are Zipvit ZV7 gels but is there something better out there that i should try.... and how many/how often do you eat yours for the best performance?

broomwagon

A handful of Jelly babies every now and then

Broadside

Guru
I have tried all sorts and my favourite are by Torq, I buy a box of 20 and that does me for about a year as I only use them on sportives (in addition to those being handed out). I also use them occasionally on 60+mile slower paced rides if I get my nutrition a bit wrong.

I actually really like all the Torq flavours so they are a bit of a treat compared to some other brands which are like sweetened wallpaper paste!

The Zipvit Caffeine gels are superb and pack a real punch with some 50+ g of carbohydrates...they look very similar in packaging to the ones you mention...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=zipvit energy gel&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CLQBEBYwCQ&url=http://www.parker-international.co.uk/17910/ZipVit-Sport-Zv7C-Caffeine-Energy-Gel.html&ei=kHSxT6f-JMm68gOn9q2_CQ&usg=AFQjCNHz3KFfpDCDJg9DrtEA7IfjoaVHLQ

Have also tried High5 which I don't rate but it is 2:1, the Torq ones are good and the Accel gels are also good. The one above is the one I use at the moment but rarely use anymore than 2 for that distance. I use a 2:1 formula drink too.

amaferanga

Veteran
Is this for racing? Or just for emergencies? If you're just out riding then why waste your money on gels when regular food will work equally well? Gels are great for races where you don't get a chance to eat solid food at all usually, but you're really p!ssing money down the drain if you're using these as your main fuel for regular 'recreational' rides.

As for which one, well for just riding they all do the same so just buy the one you like the taste of best or the cheapest one.

OP
OP
Dobz

Dobz

Regular
@ Totally fixed.cheers bud... hell aye fella hats off to you... you certainly are a good advert for the Torque gels... thats some average over that distance aint it... best be sent for that random dope test mate :hyper:.. :eek:

OP
OP
Dobz

Dobz

Regular
Sportives really amaferanga and general long rides. Emergencies .
What would be you preference on high energy food for the back pocket?

A pocket full of chopped papaya does for me, usually. Julian Graves sells it, although I'm sure there are other shops too. Good energy content and easy to eat on the move. Other alternatives are fig rolls, flapjack squares or those Kellogs 'elevenses' bars. Good thing about the papaya is that is doesn't fall apart or go soft in your pocket...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I fuel well before my rides with oats, skimmed milk and honey. During the ride I find a decent electrolyte tab in my bottle will be fine for 50 miles. If I am going longer I might add a carb mix into the drink like sis psp22 to add the sugar hit. Gels are fine but if I am taking something to eat I am more likely to take a flapjack or granola type bar as the drink is providing me with the refined easy uptake sugary carbs. On a sportive I tend to grab a bannana or malt loaf at the feed stations.

Top Bottom