Which Garmin ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi there, I don't know anything about Garmins other than they are the dogs nuts.

I would like to try and get a GPS unit with Turn bu Turn navigation.

I guess in Garmin terms, that takes me into the £300 plus bracket.

Are there any older Garmin units that do turn by turn nav, that I might find on fleabay or the like.

I have given up trying to work out a way to add turn nav to my Windows Phone.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it all depends what you want to do with the Garmin. Do you want Cadence and HR for instance, or just navigation.

Check out DC Rainmaker's review site HERE. He is the go to man for reviews, run through's and comparisons of Garmin products.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Also consider do you only want it for bike navigation, or general use too (eg walking). If just for the bike, get a bike specific one, if not consider the other ranges like Oregon and Etrex, which are lumpier but which take AA batteries (which can be handy for longer rides/tours)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do you mean that you will following routes that you have plotted, or do you want the device to come up with the routes for you?

If you are doing the plotting yourself, then the most basic model of the ancient Garmin Etrex range would be fine. I have been using one for over 10 years and it has never let me down. You should be able to pick those up for less than £50 on eBay. In fact, I bet there will be someone on CycleChat with one lying around unused in a drawer after an upgrade to a more modern device.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Garmin touring is brilliant.

It is a Gps where you can plot very exact routes on a PC and download it to the Garmin or you can input addresses to the Garmin as you would a car GPS and it will take you there. Not always by the direct route, but you will get there. It also has points of interest.

It records your route as you ride them and you can download that to the PC. You can also download routes that other people have ridden and ride them yourself. Great when you are on holiday.

I have just downloaded a couple of routes in Copenhagen that I will be walking tomorrow.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Edge 705 does turn by turn. Should find plenty on eBay.

Gooch

As above. I picked up a 705 on Gumtree for £40 and it's the mutts nutts! It does turn by turn as long as you upload your route to it as a GPX file. You can also get free maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Just make sure that you use up to a 2gb SD card for your maps. I got the whole of the UK on using up under 700mb. Apparently up to 4gb micro SDHC cards will work "only" if you update your 705 to the latest firmware.

Hope this helps ^_^

Top Bottom