Which gear/brake cables?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I need to buy a full set of gear and brake cables for my new bike build, and I don't have a clue what I need.

I've looked at kits like this. Is it any good?

Galvanised or stainless steel? Does a kit include everything I need for both brakes/gears? Is it OK to buy "budget" cables, or should I be looking at a big name like Shimano?

I just bought and installed this http://road.cc/content/review/28824-jagwire-racer-brake-and-cable-kit

(can be had for slightly less than £25) and I am impressed. Not cheapest, but far from the most pricey and included pretty much everything I needed except new bar tape and cable cutters (the cable is strong, pliers not advised!).

The brakes feel much better than brand new and my gears now haven't missed a click since.

jim55

Guru
yeah ul need seperate brake and gear cables as theyr a diff size (diameter of cable ),im far from an expert but all id say is dont buy the cheapest ebay special ,i done this recently and my braking action was terrible ,replaced both with better ones and its much better ,mines arent top of the range ,i have bbb outers and basic inners from decathlon (i had to get them straight away ),you dont need fancy pants ones ,just mid range (bbb or jagwire ,something like that ),i posted about this exact thing a while ago and somebody on here recc a set made by gore (the windproof company)and they were 28£ for brake cables!!and the bike was 140 all in !
needless to say i bought bbb ones but no need for you to go daft :hello:
btw with bigger names your paying for the brand i think,your choice

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
yeah ul need seperate brake and gear cables as theyr a diff size (diameter of cable)

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer. I realised from looking at what's available that you need different cables for brakes and gears. I meant, if you buy a kit for brakes (for example) does it include everything you need for the front and the rear brake, or do you need to buy 2 kits (1 for each)?

Thanks, both, for the brand recommendations, and the tip about cable cutters.

jim55

Guru
gen i "kit"does both brakes (2 inner cables and 2 outers ),and a seperate "kit"(again 2 inners and outers)for the gear shifters ,some brands (well most )will do a "kit containing both brake and gear cables,
wee tip -wait until its all done up and adjusted/working before you cut the inners to size for the last time and dont put crimps on till the very last min , if something is not aligned right and you need to pull it through and rethread it makes it easier if the crimps not been on as if its crimped really tight it kinda flattens the cable inner and its a nightmare to feed it back through ,again get good cutters and dont try and faff about with pliers :thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
I prefer to buy cable housing by the meter then cut it to exactly the length I need. I can't tell if the kit you linked to has pre-cut lengths - kits often do and inevitably you'll want a bit just a little bit longer or shorter than is supplied.

You WILL need a cable cutter if you go down that route, trying to cut brake outers with a hacksaw or garden secateurs will not work:blush:

Kits usually have one long outer cable to cut to size for the brakes or gears, because the differences in length between cable stops on different bikes. The Jagwire one I linked to had 2 long outers, one for both brakes and one for both gears to be matched up against the old cables and cut to size accordingly. (I had plenty left).

This is another reason to get decent cable cutters!

VamP

Banned
+1 for the Jagwire Racer. Comes in a broad range of colours too, so you can go wild with your cross check coordination. I went orange on a blue cross bike and that combo is wicked.

I think for the quality you get with Jagwire the price is amazing, nothing else comes close. The only complaint I have, and this is due to an atypical installation, is that the kit does not have quite enough gear outer to run a full length RD outer. Or rather it does, but then there's not enough left for the front. Small niggle that will likely not affect you, and it's easily overcome by buying two kits and keeping the rest as spares.

Definitely buy (if you haven't already) good cable cutters. Will save you a world of pain.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I buy Jagwire outers by the meters, and their stainless inners work fine. Last time I looked "kits" were a few times more expensive for reason I couldn't figure out - probably just taking advantage of folks who don't have a box of assorted ferrules of the correct sizes and crimp ends etc.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks. I've just ordered the Jagwire kit and Park Tools cable cutters.

I buy Jagwire outers by the meters, and their stainless inners work fine. Last time I looked "kits" were a few times more expensive for reason I couldn't figure out - probably just taking advantage of folks who don't have a box of assorted ferrules of the correct sizes and crimp ends etc.

This is probably true, but since I don't have a box of assorted anything (yet) and also don't really know what I need, I think it makes sense to get a kit this time!

Christopher

Über Member
I use an old dart to clear the end of the cable inner after cutting it. An awl or scribe might do if you have one fine enough.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is probably true, but since I don't have a box of assorted anything (yet) and also don't really know what I need, I think it makes sense to get a kit this time!
Lulubel, excuse me while I insult your intelligence.

You will get two inners. The longer of the two is for the rear brake. Don't use it by mistake on the front brake and then cut it only to find the 'other' inner isn't long enough to reach the rear.

Neither should you ask me how I know this.:blush:

VamP

Banned
And this for the ultimate coordination touch.

A bit more expensive but if you're plannning any significant off-roading, you should need to change the inners less frequently. Works well with the Jagwire outers - the action is deliciously smooth.

Top Bottom