Which grease to use on hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I have recently learnt to service non-cartridge hub, where the ball bearings fall out and run about.

Just wanted to ask about which grease is the most appropriate. I have seen lithium, teflon, shimano workshop grease etc on the market.

Is there one type of grease i can buy and be able to use it on all bits of the bike?

Thanks

w

I have recently learnt to service non-cartridge hub, where the ball bearings fall out and run about.

Just wanted to ask about which grease is the most appropriate. I have seen lithium, teflon, shimano workshop grease etc on the market.

Is there one type of grease i can buy and be able to use it on all bits of the bike?

Thanks

w

I tend to use Lithium grease, and ceramic bearings. The grease seems to tolerate water ingress much better, the ceramic bearings are a) lighter, and b) don't seem to wear out as quickly.

midlife

Guru
I've used lithium disulphide grease for years, sometimes with a touch of molybdenum disulphide. Sometimes white and sometimes coloured.... Whatever was on special offer lol

Shaun

sidevalve

Über Member
I tend to use Lithium grease, and ceramic bearings. The grease seems to tolerate water ingress much better, the ceramic bearings are a) lighter, and b) don't seem to wear out as quickly.
How much weight can you save on 2 dozen ball bearings ?
As for the OP try any car spares shop and buy a tub of any decent grease - you will have enough to last for years.

Any grease will do. Any. Bicycles are so low-tech that fancy stuff is wasted on it, unless of course you have a gallon of fancy stuff lying about. If not, go to the spares shop and buy the cheapest you can get.

Any grease will do. Any. Bicycles are so low-tech that fancy stuff is wasted on it, unless of course you have a gallon of fancy stuff lying about. If not, go to the spares shop and buy the cheapest you can get.

image.jpg

midlife

Guru
I'm with the "any sort of grade 2 grease will do" crowd, BITD I ran my bikes without grease to remove all that pesky drag, thereby taking 0.05 seconds off my 25 time :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom