Which groupset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farrier boy

I am looking to by a new bike but would like advice on groupset/cassettes. The bike I am looking at has a shimano ultra 52/36 groupset and 16/27 cassette, would this be ok for hills ?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Depends how fit you are, and how long and steep the hills are. Is 16/27 is a typo?

So give us an idea of fitness and a typical hill you're considering.

But I suspect that if you're asking, you need lower gears! I think Ultegra goes to 50/34 and as far as 11-34, and 11-32 is fairly standard these days. If you're at all worried about hills, I'd recommend 50/34 and 11-32. It's easy to put harder gears on, but lower ones can take more fettling (longer chain and higher capacity rear mech as well as the new cassette)

[Edit - I note you're in Huddersfield. Unless you're a very strong club cyclist already, you'll be wanting a lower bottom gear than 36/27 for sure]

OP
OP
Farrier boy

Farrier boy

Depends how fit you are, and how long and steep the hills are. Is 16/27 is a typo?

So give us an idea of fitness and a typical hill you're considering.

But I suspect that if you're asking, you need lower gears! I think Ultegra goes to 50/34 and as far as 11-34, and 11-32 is fairly standard these days. If you're at all worried about hills, I'd recommend 50/34 and 11-32. It's easy to put harder gears on, but lower ones can take more fettling (longer chain and higher capacity rear mech as well as the new cassette)

[Edit - I note you're in Huddersfield. Unless you're a very strong club cyclist already, you'll be wanting a lower bottom gear than 36/27 for sure]
Thanks for replying. I agree with you on the 36/27. I am just getting back into riding so I need to build my strength and stamina back up. It sounds like you know the hills around huddersfield. The 16/27 isn't a typo, it's a junior cassette apparently.

Nebulous

Guru
I have two bikes with a mid-compact 52/36 chainset. Both of them came with an 11/28 cassette. For both of them I changed to an 11/32 and that necessitated a change of rear mech to get one with a medium cage. For an ultegra set-up you're probably looking at over £100 to do that, with a new chain included.

OP
OP
Farrier boy

Farrier boy

Thanks for this, theres a lot to consider. £100 isn't expensive really.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Huddersfield is generally quite hilly isn't it?

My "best" bike has a 52/36 with an 11/28 cassette, while my everyday bike has a 50/34 with an 11/32 on the back.
You can definitely tell the difference when it gets lumpy, even if the best bike is a few kg lighter. :laugh:

If @Buck is still about he might have some thoughts?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
£100 for a Kuota with Shimano Ultegra is a great buy, you should be able to fit a 30t cassette without changing the rear derailleur (speaking from experience) and if money is tight you’ll probably get away with keeping the existing chain rather than buying a new longer one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
£100 for a Kuota with Shimano Ultegra is a great buy, you should be able to fit a 30t cassette without changing the rear derailleur (speaking from experience) and if money is tight you’ll probably get away with keeping the existing chain rather than buying a new longer one.
I think that might be £100 extra.

Top Bottom