Which groupset?

105 7000 or SRAM Rivel 22 or Tiagra 4700?

  • SRAM Rival 22

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Shimano 105 7000

    Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Tiagra 4700 10 speed?

    Votes: 2 22.2%

  • Total voters
    9
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Legendary Member
Doing a cheap build up and these 3 can be bought brand new for around £300.
I’m wanting lighter and the SRAM is lighter of the 3 but the other two are bullet proof.
 

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Location
Northern Germany
What makes you say the SRAM is not bulletproof? I have the 1x version of the SRAM Rival drivetrain that is 10 years old and well over 20,000 km. I've never had any major issues with it.

The best bit about the Rival drivetrain over Shimano is that you can actually work on it. The shifters can be disassembled, cleaned and greased. Whilst SRAM themselves refuse to provide spares, companies like Ratio Technology manufacture some parts like replacement cable spools. Personally it's no question in my mind, SRAM over Shimano any day.
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tiagra 4700 is fine as long as you remember to change the cables regularly as they are prone to being shredded inside the shifter due to the cable routing .
i have sram 10 speed on my old alloy boardman thats still going strong after 14 years and i have rival 22 on the best bike .
 

Bristolian

Über Member
Location
Bristol, UK
I don't see me going for anything from SRAM as all my knowledge (such as it is) comes from Shimano use. I've had the same conversation with myself about Tiagra vs 105 and the latter always comes out on top. That may be a bit of subconscious bias ~ groupset of the public and all that ~ but I believe 105 is superior to Tiagra which, in turn, is superior to the Sora currently on my bike.
 
Top Bottom