Which Hand-built wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I am looking to change the wheels on my Dawes Century SE. This bike is mainly used as my winter bike plus all day rides as well. I am 6ft 2'' and 13 stone, so want something fairly robust. I was thinking Mavic Open Pro with 105 hubs with double butted spokes. What else should I look at? I have around £250.

Jay

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They're a good wheelset. Get a 32 or above spoke count.

What would be better then, something like Ambrosio perhaps?

I've heard they're good but no experience myself. I've had two pairs of open pro's wear right through in far less time than I'd expect. It's a pity as they're pretty good otherwise.

I've just seen they now do an open pro 'Couche Dure' wear resistant rim which is only a few quid more than the standard (unlike the ceramic which is twice the price) which might be worth a look at.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Buy the bits build them yourself perhaps. 36H three cross on the back 32H three cross up front. Bombproof.

I've ambrosio on ambrosio on the audax bike btw

A set of Rigida Chrinas seem to be lasting well on my commuter/audax bike - available custom built at Spa Cycles: http://www.spacycles...id=m2b0s178p376

Spa wheels on my single speed commuter take on all obstacles. 36 spokes as I am same height and about a bit (3 stones :biggrin:) heavier than you. Since breaking three spokes within a week of getting them (Spa sent me replacement spokes immediately so that I could get 'back to square one'... or 'round one' if you like...) they have been perfect.
Quick service from Spa, and the wheels are true and lovely. I tend to 'test' things a bit, but these are taking the strain well, and, although these are 'track' hubs, the ones Simon suggests will be equally carefully put together I'm sure.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have a pair of hand built wheels using Rigida Chrina rims from Spa on my ss, they are good wheels, but I want some different rims for this bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
As others have found Open Pros ( I have them on 105 hubs too! ) wear rather quickly.
I am trying Ambrosio Excellence in the new set. No problems on the build or in the first 130 kms, some of it quite bumpy.

brockers

From what I've heard the QC at Mavic has gone downhillin the last coupla years and the Open Pros aren't coming out as round as they should, making them harder to build into an even-tensioned wheel from the outset. Hence why some wheelbuilders aren't using them for the time being. I'm sure Mavic are aware of this issue, and why they're not trying to rectify things and save their reputation is beyond me.

To the OP (see what I did there?!), there's always the Ambrosio Excellence (slightly heavier than the Excellight), and Mavic's Open Sport could be worth considering as a budget solution. You could push the boat out on the hub front with the money saved on the rims. Go for Alpina 2.0mm/1.7mm/2.0mm spokes too.

Chris James

Über Member
Spa wheels on my single speed commuter take on all obstacles. 36 spokes as I am same height and about a bit (3 stones :biggrin:) heavier than you. Since breaking three spokes within a week of getting them (Spa sent me replacement spokes immediately so that I could get 'back to square one'... or 'round one' if you like...) they have been perfect.

That sounds like daming Spa with faint praise! The build was good except for the three spokes that broke within the first week!?

That sounds like daming Spa with faint praise! The build was good except for the three spokes that broke within the first week!?

True, Chris. However, the wheels are always 'signed' by the builder, and it was their 'top person' - apparently. Given that I would prefer to have them in my posession I just put it down to three rogue spokes. Otherwise, I would imagine a few others would have parted company with their nipples by now. One spoke broke. Replaced. Later that week, two spokes broke on the same ride. (Different places, different sides - I marked the replacement etc). Spa had sent me a 'spare' for the original broken one, plus two others - which was (unknowingly) helpful. I'm no wheel building expert, but I do try and do things carefully. Had there been further failure then yes, they would have gone back for an inspection and severe sorting out!
In short, they stand by their work, which is reassuring for someone wanting a reputable company to choose from I suppose.

PpPete

Legendary Member
From what I've heard the QC at Mavic has gone downhillin the last coupla years and the Open Pros aren't coming out as round as they should, making them harder to build into an even-tensioned wheel from the outset. Hence why some wheelbuilders aren't using them for the time being. I'm sure Mavic are aware of this issue, and why they're not trying to rectify things and save their reputation is beyond me.

To the OP (see what I did there?!), there's always the Ambrosio Excellence (slightly heavier than the Excellight), and Mavic's Open Sport could be worth considering as a budget solution. You could push the boat out on the hub front with the money saved on the rims. Go for Alpina 2.0mm/1.7mm/2.0mm spokes too.

Personally ... and this is only a personal opinion.... I wouldn't bother with Open Sport rims. A supplier sent me one by mistake a while back (should have been an Open Pro). I wasn't impressed, it just felt flimsy & cheap. If you want to go budget, stick with Chrina, which has a reassuringly solid feel to it - but of course it is 40 grams heavier.

Top Bottom