Which Headset please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
I have a 2012 Sirrus Comp. The spec says my headset is:

1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo Campy Style integrated bearings, 15mm alloy cone spacer with 30mm of spacers

Cane Creek say i need:

Upper Headset Type IS Upper Head-tube Type 42 Stem Clamp Diameter 28.6

Lower Headset Type IS Lower Head-tube Type 42 Crown Race Seat Diameter 30

Bearing Seat Angle - not given

I've googled both the specs but unfortunately, i'm finding it difficult to determine which headset i need to buy to replace my current one. Either 'like for like' or perhaps an improved alternative. Could anyone help me with this please?

(I've included a picture of the current bearings when i took them out to lubricate them recently in case this helps identify what i require)

Attachments

• headset.jpg
    headset.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 46

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't get this? Yours is the second thread today asking advice about replacing a cartridge bearing headset. I thought the principle was that the headset should effectively last indefinitely with a change of bearings as required.
Your bearings should be marked with I.D codes to make replacement straightforward but these markings can be difficult to read once some corrosion has occured. I have sourced replacement stainless bearings for the cartridge bearing headset on my current bike as it is usually water ingress and corrosion that finishes off the bearings rather than wear.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Hi - thanks for replying. Maybe my nomenclature is flawed; as i implied, my knowledge here is weak, hence the reason i started the thread. The black items in the photo are the cartridge bearings, right? As far as i remember, i looked hard for any identification and although they are not corroded, i could find none. But there is some corrosion on the silver items. Are these not part of a 'headset'? Or should i just ignore them and put them back with new bearings (of which i still have no idea what to order)? Perhaps i don't understand what a headset is, specifically a cartridge bearing headset, but for something that lasts indefinitely, there seem to be an awful lot for sale.

If the above makes no sense, it's because i'm more confused than ever and really would welcome some guidance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can your LBS help, got to be easier than scouring the web through a minefield of parts? Should be a simple job for a capable mechanic :smile:

Hi, if you are prepared to learn, there's plenty of information out there. Park tool repair website is very good starting point.
If you want someone to spoon feed you the info, you might be better off going to the LBS. Most bike shops should stock reasonably priced headsets, and they will identify what you need quickly. No offence intended, just saying that you can get a lot of misguided info on a forum thread, and there are more definitive sources to refer to!

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards

Once you've identified the type and how they work, you can better search for a solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
vickster - A very commonsense suggestion, but i quite like doing this sort of stuff myself. I'd hoped there was something i could learn here that would focus my 'scouring':smile:
confusedcyclist - thanks, i'll have a look and see if it helps.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi - thanks for replying. Maybe my nomenclature is flawed; as i implied, my knowledge here is weak, hence the reason i started the thread. The black items in the photo are the cartridge bearings, right? As far as i remember, i looked hard for any identification and although they are not corroded, i could find none. But there is some corrosion on the silver items. Are these not part of a 'headset'? Or should i just ignore them and put them back with new bearings (of which i still have no idea what to order)? Perhaps i don't understand what a headset is, specifically a cartridge bearing headset, but for something that lasts indefinitely, there seem to be an awful lot for sale.

If the above makes no sense, it's because i'm more confused than ever and really would welcome some guidance.
You are on the right track. Identify and replace the black bearings. The rest of it should go back in and the whole thing should then feel like new :okay:

Top Bottom