Which helmet do I get please help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

er, no editing on that post. Just wit... ;)
....and the one before ? :whistle:

Bman

Guru
I haven't read the whole thread, but my answer to the OP is:

Which ever one stops you falling off your bike.

I really don't get this.

The EU helmet specification is for a impact at 12mph, which is roughly the speed your head would be moving if you fell over. So helmets are mostly about cosmetic damage, not saving your brain. So to me it makes sense to wear a full face helmet, to actually protect the parts of you that would matter if they were cosmetically damaged.

Fascinating that the Bontrager helmet description is entirely about appearance and comfort, with no indication of the protection it would offer in a collision; not even a mention of what standards it is constructed to.

(Edited to change "collision" to "impact")

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I really don't get this.

The EU helmet specification is for a collision of 12mph, which is roughly the speed your head would be moving if you fell over. So helmets are mostly about cosmetic damage, not saving your brain. So to me it makes sense to wear a full face helmet, to actually protect the parts of you that would matter if they were cosmetically damaged.

Fascinating that the Bontrager helmet description is entirely about appearance and comfort, with no indication of the protection it would offer in a collision; not even a mention of what standards it is constructed to.
You make a fair point but I can't imagine many people would go for the full face option. One thing I saw but can't remember where (so no link unfortunately,) was a neoprene facemask. It looked quite sinister and frankly very hot (not in a good way you understand) If I can find it I'll link it up. Could be an alternative to the full face helmet and would protect against grazing and cuts but not tooth and chin damage. Then again I don't know how much protection against the more serious facial injuries a full face would offer.

ushills

Veteran
Have a look at a MET parachute, probably more suitable.

Top Bottom