Which helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brava210

Über Member
:thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is that really something to promote?

No offence
No offence taken.

Yes it's a good thing to promote; Cycling is not dangerous:
http://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect

Helmets have no proven benefit for cyclists safety. In fact there is evidence (rather than anecdata) to the contrary.
There is a large industry preying on fear that wants to sell you a perception of 'safety'.
There is a car-driving and insurance lobby that wants to demonstrate you are negligent in any accident they cause you.
There is a pro-compulsion lobby that will reduce the numbers of people cycling and hence damage the nations health for no reduction in KSIs

I could go on .... but people aren't interested in facts.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree you don't need to wear a helmet, I didn't yesterday, and enjoyed the sun on my head. One of the advantages for me wearing one is to stop my hair flying into my face, sometimes that's how I realise that I don't have a helmet on!

My helmet also has a peak (?) which helps keep the rain off a little, or the sun out of my eyes.

ChrisTh

Some people wear one, some dont. Not the time or place on that discussion :surrender:

I agree with the pop intp lbs option, I spent ages trying to find one that fits me just right. As for hair, cant help there as I dont really have any.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Theres a whole subsection on here for helmets.

They aren't compulsory and you will look daft in whichever one (if any) you go for so you should largely forget aesthetics.

If you are buying it thinking it is akin to a motorbike one & will see you perfectly ok if you headbut a car windscreen at 30+mph maybe have a read of the (low) 'safety' standards they have to pass.

Generally though, if you feel you want or need one, get one that is comfy to wear or you won't do.

tudor_77

Über Member
I resisted getting a helmet for the longest time, primarily due to vanity reasons more than anything else. However, decided to take the plunge after a few close calls on the roads. I realised that getting a helmet that would make me look cool and awesome was kind of impossible as they are safety wear, designed to protect the head and provide decent ventilation. Anyways, after a bit of research I decided upon the 'Las Victory' helmet:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_930995_langId_-1_categoryId_228868

This got rave reviews by all the cycling media as the perfect balance of cool Italian looks, ventilation and weight. The strap system is awesome and makes for an extremely comfortable fit and I quickly forget I am wearing a helmet at all. I think 'Las' helmets generally are all top notch.

RRP is £140 and Halfords have it on sale for £85 which is a great deal.

OP
OP
Daffy

Daffy

Regular
Thanks all, loads of helpful info there.... i'm gonna have to go without one this weekend as haven't had time to go look. I'm a bit paranoid as when I was a kid I hit a big stone that stopped me dead and i went flying over the handlebars, i think i'd feel safer in one...but there was that brain surgeon guy in the paper the other day saying that they're useless anyway! who knows.

vickster

Legendary Member
The bloke who rides with a cowboy hat on...he may be right, or he may just be bonkers!! Do whatever makes you feel better :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a Specialized Align costing about £30. It has a reasonable US safety rating. I don't know if it gives me an added aura of safety or not, and I don't care. I just wear one out of habit. When it gets sunny and too hot , I take it off and hang it from the bars to give me an added air of cool and nonchalance.

BTW, just get one that is comfortable.

Matt1705

Über Member
I have a very sore head today as a result of not wearing a helmet yesterday.
Had I been wearing one I wouldn't have got such sunburn :ohmy:uch:

1. It must fit without any pressure points. Different companies have different shapes. If you have a circular head, and the hlmet is an oal shape it will not fit well
2. It must be comfortable, if it is uncomfortable you will not wear it
3. Ensure it can be adjusted to fit securely without compromising 1 or 2
4. Go for ANSI or Snell certified helmets, the UK EN1078 is not worth the paper it is written upon
5. Try and avoid angles - sharp edges and vents can catch and either cause the helmet to come off, or stop it sliding in an impact - Rounder, Smoother, Safer
6. It need not be expensive, a Snell helmet can b bought for as little as £30

I have a very sore head today as a result of not wearing a helmet yesterday.
Had I been wearing one I wouldn't have got such sunburn :ohmy:uch:

You would simply have had an imprint of the helmet vents burnt onto the exposed part

38aa2debf75a7b4193c71cb6cc3f939a.jpg

Top Bottom