Which "hybrid" bike to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vic

Hey guys, brand new to these forums. I want to keep this as simple as possible because I'm prone to writing massive essays in these type of threads!

Basically, I currently have a Trek 7.3 FX (don't know what year because I got it second hand a couple of years ago). It has served me well, I've really liked it - but it is in a bad state at the moment. I have been told by 4 different bike stores that the repairs needed are: Both cassettes, the chain, the front wheel (and probably the back too), both gear cables, both brake cables, brake pads. And other things on top of this, depending on what store I was in. One guy also told me that even if I did repair it, other parts were likely to be close to failing too, and they might not be replaceable (or really expensive to replace). I'm not very clued up with bikes, so I'm not sure what he meant. I think he mentioned bearings of some sort. Anyway, the first 2 places I went to told me just to get a new bike, the last 2 told me it was worth repairing. The quote for repairs was between £180 and £250, from shop to shop.

But I've got it into my mind that I'd like a brand new bike, a bike I could call my own - rather than adopting a second hand bike like I did. Do you think I should repair my bike for that cost? Or should I go for one of the following?

Scott Sub 40
Ridgeback Rapide Comet
Pinnacle Neon One
Specialized Sirrus
Decathlon bTwin (was recommended by someone for quality and value, but he didn't say a specific model...)

What do you think? Should I spend the money on repairing the bike, or go for one of these bikes? Or even a different one instead that you could recommend? My budget SHOULD be around £300 - £350, but if for another £50 the step up in quality is large, do say.

I should probably finish by saying what I'll use the bike for. Mainly for commuting and other such cycling around London, although I may do the occasional longer ride on a weekend through country roads etc. So I figure a hybrid would suit me well as I definitely don't want a mountain bike, but don't think a full-on road bike is for me either.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Any of those are nice TBH (with the exception of Decathalon B'Twin as that is a brand not a model)

I'd try to spend as much as you can, the more you spend the better it is and longer it will last.

Of them all, I like the Scott and the Pinacle's (Evans own brand) have caught my eye when I've seen them recently.

OP
OP
V

Vic

Thanks for your input! So you think buying a new bike is better than repairing my current one at that cost?

Don't fret the details. Competition is so fierce between all of the different manufacturers that it's actually quite difficult to buy a bike which is not good value for money. One £350 bike is much the same as the next - and may even have been buit in the same factory...

By far the most important things about buying a new bike are these - in no particular order:

That the bike suits your needs - ie that it's got mudguards if you're commuting, comfy saddle for the distances you'll be riding, yada yada...
That it's the right size.
That it comes from a good bike shop which is convenient, who assemble it correctly, offer you good back-up service and with whom you can build up a long-lasting relationship.

Thanks for your input! So you think buying a new bike is better than repairing my current one at that cost?

For the money quoted (£200ish) I'd be tempted to repair your current ride and save for a much better one in the future?

I know on my current ride (£500 hybrid) when its time to replace its going to get cheap(ish) components to keep it in use as a wrecker, and buy a very nice commuter/tourer.

OP
OP
V

Vic

Having just been into Evans again, it turns out they are now sold out of Pinnacle Neon One's and Scott Sub 40's, and as it is nearing the end of the season they won't be replenishing until the new year's models come out.

I did however test ride a Pinnacle Lithium 3 and it seemed quite nice. Is this equivalent to the other bikes I mentioned above? Is it a good bike?

I will try to find the Scott and the Neon at different chains of stores for a test ride, but if they're sold out everywhere, what is better out of the Specialized Cirrus, or the more expensive Pinnacle Lithium 3? The quality of the gear changes for example, which one would they be better on? Which bike is better value? I know the Pinnacle has disc brakes, but I'm not really that bothered by them to be completely honest!

Thanks guys - sorry, I really don't know how to compare bikes except for how they feel in test rides!

OP
OP
V

Vic

Anybody else care to comment please? I'm thinking of repairing/buying tomorrow, so any quick opinion would be appreciated!

The options being:
- £200ish repair for old Trek 7.3
- Pinnacle Lithium 3
- Specialized Cirrus
- Ridgeback Rapide Comet

Also please the reasons for your choice...

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

jann71

Veteran
I have a pinnacle borealis hybrid. Took it for a test ride from Evans before I bought, lovely to ride, fitted with full mudguards and panniers as my commute bike.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

jann71

Veteran
Depending on your size they have borealis 3 on website at £399.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Anybody else care to comment please? I'm thinking of repairing/buying tomorrow, so any quick opinion would be appreciated!

The options being:
- Pinnacle Lithium 3
- Specialized Cirrus
- Ridgeback Rapide Comet

:huh:

Mike!

Guru
Sirrus for me was a great bike and i'd recommend. Have changed now to drop bar mind you.

Have you considered changing all the cables and brake stuff yourself? You'd learn a lot about the bike and save a few £ if you decide to keep. Lots of guides on the net / you tube that would help you.

The options being:
- Pinnacle Lithium 3
- Specialized Cirrus
- Ridgeback Rapide Comet

Apoligies I meant to post last night.....

I wouldnt be unhappy with any of the options you've posted, they are all nice bikes and of a style I'd ride in that I like upright hybrid bikes. Also re-reading your post I see the Trek was second hand, with potential forebodings from your LBS that more replacements may be needed so I'd err towards a new ride rather than repair.

So, I'd try and test ride/sit on as many of your choices as you can and then go from there. Personally I like the Specialized Cirrus and the Pinacle Borealis.

Top Bottom