Which Hybrid/Flat Bar Gravel for around £650 Pre-owned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johneboy

Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice from people that ride bikes on what my next one should be. What would you lot suggest?

I want to move from my current 2019 Cannondale Bad Boy 4 to either a flat bar gravel bike or a hybrid capable of the same riding. I'm looking at the pre-owned market as a way to get the best from my circa £650 budget. The bike needs to have full hydraulic brakes and weigh in at under 11kg (the lighter the better!)

Thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte Cambridge or Stirling :okay:

What's wrong with the Cannondale?

OP
OP
J

Johneboy

I love the looks of my Cannondale, but the front fork is not very forgiving at all. Nor is the rest of the frame really, even with great big 47 WTB Byways on it. Plus it's a bit of a heavy lump.

I like the look of the Whytes. I had also seen the Boardman HYB 8.9 and the Saracen Hack FB, but it's difficult to guage which one is best.

vickster

Legendary Member
I love the looks of my Cannondale, but the front fork is not very forgiving at all. Nor is the rest of the frame really, even with great big 47 WTB Byways on it. Plus it's a bit of a heavy lump.

I like the look of the Whytes. I had also seen the Boardman HYB 8.9 and the Saracen Hack FB, but it's difficult to guage which one is best.
What’s wrong with the fork? Is it solid or sprung?
The Whyte R7s don’t take very fat tyres. If you find 47s uncomfortable, you might be better off with an MTB not a road going fast hybrid. Where are you riding?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
What’s wrong with the fork? Is it solid or sprung?
The Whyte R7s don’t take very fat tyres. If you find 47s uncomfortable, you might be better off with an MTB fat bike not a road going fast hybrid. Where are you riding?
Edited for extra comfort and mild amusement value - OP if comfort's lacking on 47s, then as said, the Whytes won't help you, they will be worse. Are you wearing cycle shorts?

OP
OP
J

Johneboy

Currently I don't wear any particular cycling clothing. To be fair, some gloves wouldn't be a bad idea to improve things.

The Cannondale is a Lefty solid fork. It and the frame of the bike are chunky and have very little give in them. I do think that a better Hybrid/Gravel bike with a normal carbon fork should have a lot more give/compliance in it. As long as it can take tyres 47 tyres, or near on that, I would hope I would get a better riding experience (with some gloves!). I'm not looking for MTB levels of comfort on the woodland trails and gravel paths I ride on. More like something between what I have now and an MTB.

vickster

Legendary Member
How about:

https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-camino/products/sonder-camino-al-v3-apex1-flat

I've never seen a s/h one, which tells a story, perhaps?
They don’t sell many?

Top Bottom