Which hydraulic discs? recommend/avoid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
OK so this another numpty newbie question really (if somewhat long-winded - sorry)
I've been around CC for a number of years but with, frankly, very little interest in things off-road.

Now the kid's school has a bike club and I'm one of the parent volunteer coaches.
Coaching on road is near impossible these days so it is all MTB
The school bikes are 2013 Giant Revel 1, pretty basic entry level, about as cheap as you can get with hydraulic discs.

I've just spent the weekend on a MIAS Level One/Level Two course *** and, to put it bluntly, although I got through, I desperately need to improve my own skills before I lead on any kind of "technical" terrain. End result I've got to buy a Mountain Bike.

I do know my way around road bikes and through maintaining our own kid's MTBs(++) I am quite happy with cable disc brakes, but hydraulics are obviously the way to go... and it is something I know sweet FA about , although I've heard that some are easier to maintain (bleed) than others - so finally we come to the question, are there any hydraulics I should be looking for (or looking to avoid) when I'm looking at bike specs? Bearing in mind it will still be entry level price range that I'm looking at. No point me having a bike that's way better than what the kids I'm teaching have - even if I could afford it, which I can't.

Are the Tektro HDC300 which seem to come up on many entry level bikes any good? Or would I be better looking elsewhere?

*** Why oh why did I think I could just "wing it" when they said it was course for experienced mountain bikers only - I came off soooo many times, my legs, hips, shoulders are black, blue, purple, yellow - any colour but what they are supposed to be.
++ Oh yes and I broke the derailleur on the eldest's bike that I'd borrowed for the occasion :cursing: fortunately in the last hour of riding on the course so that's more expense !

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The conventional wisdom

recommend... anything made by Shimano with SLX giving best bang for buck
avoid... anything made by Avid.

Even the cheap Shimano's seem to be just fine, M395's are on two of the bikes I have and have been trouble free so far and perform well.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I have Avid Elixir R's on mine and they've been fantastic so far through 4 years of year round riding, with just pad replacements so far.

lpretro1

We see lots of Avid brakes in our workshop and lots of problems with sticking pistons. We'd recommend the cheaper Shimano hydraulic brakes - 99% of the time they are no fuss and work well.

Top Bottom