Which is best Crank or hub drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure how. You can cycle faster than 15.5 mph, you'll just not get any assistance from the bike.

I notice a slight drag as the assistance on my ebike cuts out, but above 16-17mph it's no different from a "normal" bike. I can maintain an easy(ish) 21-22mph on mine I until my ageing body cries enough.
Can I assume that if eg you are free wheeling (or pedaling) down a hill it will act as a normal none e bike ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can I assume that if eg you are free wheeling (or pedaling) down a hill it will act as a normal non e bike ?

You've asked this question a few times, and the answer is still 'yes'.

To delve into it a little deeper, the greater mass of the ebike means it tends to gather a little more speed than a push bike when freewheeling down hill.

Braking is more of a challenge, but nothing decent hydraulic discs can't handle.

You've asked this question a few times, and the answer is still 'yes'.

To delve into it a little deeper, the greater mass of the ebike means it tends to gather a little more speed than a push bike when freewheeling down hill.

Braking is more of a challenge, but nothing decent hydraulic discs can't handle.
My old ebike had normal bike rim brakes - nothing special
My wife's folder also has basic rim brakes
I have not had a problem stopping either of them compared to how I expect a normal bike to stop in spite of them being heavier
Of course, I am quite heavy myself so most of the excess weight on the bike is caused by my diet

OK - I need to say that I massively prefer the hydraulic disks on my own ebike - but that is more to do with feel and confidence - and, of course, the important point that they still work when the wheels get wet

Stul

Veteran
..just after I got my ebike I tried it out on a local long "downhill" bit and got over 40mph...but very scary and I will not be doing it again, (not sure that a polystyrene helmet would work very well if crashing at that speed!).

Dave7

Legendary Member
..just after I got my ebike I tried it out on a local long "downhill" bit and got over 40mph...but very scary and I will not be doing it again, (not sure that a polystyrene helmet would work very well if crashing at that speed!).
I put a ceiling on my speed of 25 mph. As I have got older I seem more and more aware of what 'could' happen.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I agree with your remarks about the ride of the Bosch system.

Most of the time I like its unobtrusive nature, although there are times when I wish it had more obvious in your face grunt.

Backup is a mixed picture because not all Bosch dealers have the relatively cheap diagnostic kit.

The term 'Bosch dealer' is something of a misnomer, 'reseller' would be more accurate
I was chatting to our Bosch dealer today about diagnostic’s & he said after doing the training coarse they get a black dongle to diagnose motor’s but to be able to change perimeters etc the main uk Bosch manager has a silver dongle & only he can change these.😬😬🤔

Yeah - but at 40 m[h a crash is likely to involves a lot of skidding over tarmac but you head will mostly hit the ground at an acute angle and probably be OK (probably - do you really ant to go with probably won't be a vegetable!)
So a helmet is not as much use as you would think unless your head hits a stationary object - like a wall or car etc etc.

I still wear a helmet - but the only crash where it has helped was at about 2 mph going round a corner
I was chatting to our Bosch dealer today about diagnostic’s & he said after doing the training coarse they get a black dongle to diagnose motor’s but to be able to change perimeters etc the main uk Bosch manager has a silver dongle & only he can change these.😬😬🤔
Sounds like increasing levels in wizardry
all bow down before the holder of the Octarine dongle

(maybe I read too many fantasy books)

Top Bottom