Which Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michelin

Regular
I’m after a jacket for riding in the winter months. Can anyone recommend a decent one for me. Many thanks in advance

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What are you after, something for heavy rain or just cold days and light showers?

My fave and surprisingly cheap cold weather jacket is from Decathlon. It is warm, often too warm for high tempo rides even on days close to freezing. Great in an occasional shower and even ok in the odd torrential commute, but that is only about 40 minutes so not sure it would be so good after a few hours of cycling in heavy downpours.

This is the current version, slightly changed from the one I bought 3yrs ago - RC100 Winter Softshell Cycling Jacket - Black TRIBAN - Decathlon

They also do it in hi-viz xx(

abcd efg

Über Member
in
If budget isn't a problem then the best jackets (in my opinion anyway) are Showers Pass, though the best models aren't cheap - Having said that there's a sale on at the moment with some good offers.

https://showerspass.co.uk/

Altura are decent too if you need to spend less.
If budget isn't a problem then the best jackets (in my opinion anyway) are Showers Pass, though the best models aren't cheap - Having said that there's a sale on at the moment with some good offers.

https://showerspass.co.uk/

Altura are decent too if you need to spend less.

I have both a Showers Pass Refuge for winter wear and a SP Elite 2:1 for the rest of the year. Both do a first class job for me. They are expensive, but well with the extra cost.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
How about?

80s-Michelin-racing-swingster-jacket-H45M-2.jpg

A lot will depend on what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend.

If you want a day in day out jacket that will keep you dry (enough) in a shower and not boil in teh bag then a softshell is probably best

If you want something that will keep you dry when its raining cats and dogs then a "hardshell" goretex active, eVent or similar.

If you have a lot of money to spend the very top of the range soft shells and hard shells probably overlap in terms of performamce (dry and warm)

If you don't have hundreds to throw around, as @Ilikeskol said decathlon are good value for Money, as are DBH, Polaris in their sales and Aldi/Lidl if you catch a special offer

If you tend to get cold then an extra base layer is a good idea and offers flexibility.

If you tend to freeze, commute at sedate enough speeds and want to be seen at night the Altura Nevis is probably the default option.

Top Bottom