Which Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I have a couple of Aldi softshell jackets (one blue/black, one yellow/black) which are reasonably warm and showerproof. I also have an Altura Night Vision jacket, which seems waterproof and fairly breathable, although I haven't tested it in a downpour. Between those three, I can be dry and warm in almost every weather. If I had to have just one jacket, it would be the Altura plus a combination of t-shirts and jumpers underneath.

johnblack

Über Member
Garneau soft shell was about £50 a couple of years ago, might have been in Evans, best one I've had

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
For years I spent cheap , to be fair the best purchase till this autumn was an Altura Softshell . Can’t remember the model , was warm and kept most of the rain out but wasn’t breathable. So a tendency to be very sweaty.
However I decided to spend a bit more this Autumn on a Castelli Preffeto jacket . It’s made with goretex . It’s a thin layer but with a base layer it’s plenty warm enough even in this weeks weather. Plus it’s breathable, no sweaty mess at all underneath !! You have to pay for that though ! £200 new but can get them in sale if you keep an eye out.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@vickster @CanucksTraveller @Tom B - Hi guys. I've been working my way through various threads on waterproof jackets and each of you have mentioned one or both of the Altura Night Vision and/or Shower Pass jackets - I can't afford anything more than the Syncline . My son is planning to start commuting in January, he'll be using an old hybrid of mine which I'll kit out with rack, panniers, lights etc. from my collection. It's a six mile ride on reasonably well lit roads but two miles is busy so I am keen he is highly visible.

I plan to buy him a waterproof jacket for Christmas and I am planning to choose between these two jackets. If you have a moment could you comment on the following;

• Fit - my lad is 6', waist 43" (I know!), chest 41" and I think the Altura will need to be 2XL. I can't find a sizing guide for Shower Pass
  • Visibility - Altura appear to very bright but I'm struggling to understand how visible the Syncline would be - red seems to be the only option
Thanks and hope you don't mind me pulling you back to this thread - seemed pointless to start yet another jackets thread!!!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@vickster @CanucksTraveller @Tom B - Hi guys. I've been working my way through various threads on waterproof jackets and each of you have mentioned one or both of the Altura Night Vision and/or Shower Pass jackets - I can't afford anything more than the Syncline . My son is planning to start commuting in January, he'll be using an old hybrid of mine which I'll kit out with rack, panniers, lights etc. from my collection. It's a six mile ride on reasonably well lit roads but two miles is busy so I am keen he is highly visible.

I plan to buy him a waterproof jacket for Christmas and I am planning to choose between these two jackets. If you have a moment could you comment on the following;

• Fit - my lad is 6', waist 43" (I know!), chest 41" and I think the Altura will need to be 2XL. I can't find a sizing guide for Shower Pass
  • Visibility - Altura appear to very bright but I'm struggling to understand how visible the Syncline would be - red seems to be the only option
Thanks and hope you don't mind me pulling you back to this thread - seemed pointless to start yet another jackets thread!!!

Hi Paul, no problem.

I'm the same build as your lad by the sounds of it (same height and spare tyre) and I have an XL in Showers Pass, they tend to be reasonably generous for a cycle clothing brand. It's nice and long in the arms. The Syncline looks plenty visible enough, and it does have reflective strips on the back. The SP clothing tends to look brighter in person than it does on a screen, I have the "gold" coloured Elite jacket which looked a sort of subdued mustardy colour online but in person it's quite a striking bright orangey yellow. Of course lights are the really key thing but yes a non-black jacket helps.

I've had an Altura Night Vision before when I commuted, it was super visible but a little thin, and you'll need decent layers on the coldest days. I was a Large in Altura stuff then, I'd probably be a XXL now. They are a snug fit.

keithmac

Guru
That jacket would just do for my winter commute!.

Screenshot_20201213-195850_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mike!

Guru
Galibier Mistral Foul Weather - I have recently brought this as a replacement for a Castelli Gabba that is now too big. It's every bit as good and a whole lot cheaper!

Mike!

Guru
Link ? and whats the sizing like ?
A google search will take you straight to it but https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/

Sizing is true for me, unlike Castelli!

Adam4868

Guru
I've quite a bit of Galibier clothing and allways found it good stuff.Great company to deal with aswell.Any problems no quibble replacement etc.

Top Bottom