Which jockey wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need to replace the jockey wheels on my rear mech, I want to get Shimano ones as I've read that the guide wheel has some deliberate float to help shifting. However everything seems to be identified by Shimano part number, and I don't know what mine is, can't find it written on it anywhere. It's a Deore mech used with an 8-speed cassette and has 11t jockey wheels. I also read somewhere that the mechs for cassettes with more ratios have narrower jockey wheels. How can I find out what will be OK for mine?

Thanks for any help

Any of the Shimano ones will work.

So sticking to Shimano, are there different widths of jockey wheel out there? Or, for a given number of teeth are the differences down quality/weight/durability? (no particular concern to me).

I found some cheap Shimano RD-M430 wheels for sale somewhere but one of the reviews said they are only for thinner chains and not suitable for 7/8 speed, but do I believe this?

So sticking to Shimano, are there different widths of jockey wheel out there? Or, for a given number of teeth are the differences down quality/weight/durability? (no particular concern to me).

I found some cheap Shimano RD-M430 wheels for sale somewhere but one of the reviews said they are only for thinner chains and not suitable for 7/8 speed, but do I believe this?
Don't worry, the thinner ones will work. Stick to 11 teeth unless you have one of those jockeys with the very large wheel.
Don't buy any jockey wheel with an even number of teeth (Shimano and Campag won't even make them), since the wheel then wears unevenly.

Great thanks for the help

Ajax Bay

Guru
You need some of these:whistle: :becool:;
Though they have an odd number of teeth, these are 11 speed and the OP's chain/cassette are 8 speed, and the bearings are red: red may not go with the OP's frame. Also is this a guide wheel or a tension wheel? Has it got the float needed for a guide wheel?

Though they have an odd number of teeth, these are 11 speed and the OP's chain/cassette are 8 speed, and the bearings are red: red may not go with the OP's frame. Also is this a guide wheel or a tension wheel? Has it got the float needed for a guide wheel?

TBH I wasn't being totally serious,,

Top Bottom