Which Lance Armstrong book to begin with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

wanted to have a read of one of Lance's books, but after a search on amazin was left flummoxed by the amount that were available.

Wondered if anyone could recommend a good starting point for me? and if needs be, which to avoid?

all help appreciated

redddraggon

Blondie
I'd start with "From Lance to Landis" and "L. A. Confidentiel : Les secrets de Lance Armstrong"

The others probably aren't worth reading.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I rather enjoyed 'Not about the bike' and 'Every second counts', but even in his own autobiography Lance comes across as an arrogant, self-centred prick.
IMHO, obviously.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
redddraggon said:
I love the irony of the title. It should have been titled "It's not about the bike but how good your doctor is"

His oncologist was pretty good by all accounts.
That's the doctor you meant, surely?:biggrin:

aberal

Veteran
redddraggon said:
I love the irony of the title. It should have been titled "It's not about the bike but how good your doctor is"

I agree. He does. But he wouldn't have won the TDF without being the man he is. Comes with the territory - self effacing nice and decent chaps don't succeed in sport. Generally.

redddraggon

Blondie
aberal said:
I agree. He does. But he wouldn't have won the TDF without being the man he is. Comes with the territory - self effacing nice and decent chaps don't succeed in sport. Generally.

Ahh but there is a difference between being firmly focused on winning and being a kn0b.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I read "It's not about the bike" and thought it was great, but then I am a Lance Fan Boy ;)

PBancroft

TheDoctor said:
I rather enjoyed 'Not about the bike' and 'Every second counts', but even in his own autobiography Lance comes across as an arrogant, self-centred prick.
IMHO, obviously.

I read 'It's Not About The Bike' first, and tried to follow immediately with 'Every Second Counts' but never finished it - it was just more of the same, and didn't really have the same purpose in its own right.

He does come across as arrogant in it, but then at least its honest. That was his attitude to both the sport and cancer - how dare this happen to me?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"Every Second Counts" isn't as good a book as "It's Not About the Bike" by any stretch.

I'd read "It's Not About the Bike" then "Lance to Landis".

PaulB

Legendary Member
aberal said:
"It's not about the bike" is to my knowledge, his first, and is certainly the best.

Agreed. In fact, you may as well ignore the others as the above is the only good one. And it IS good. They often give that to cancer sufferers to inspire them in the upcoming fight.

stavros

If you want to learn how great he is then read his books....if you want to read objectively then read summat else. LA is an arrogant git - hope Contador craps on him!

Top Bottom