which lochness route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfoot

hi

planning on a JOGLE attempt in June. Still battling with route options.

For loch ness I have the following 2 route options :

Option 1 this is shorter, less climbing but involves more of the A82.

Option 2 longer, hillier and through Inverness but involves more scenic route past Loch Ness.

thoughts?

thanks

Dave

snorri

Legendary Member
If you have the time, take option 2, certainly hillier, but the escape from rubbernecking tourists and racing locals on the A82 makes it worthwhile IMO. Inverness is no big deal to cycle through, I could give you help if you wish.

TwoTired

If you like it flat with plenty of traffic then option 1 otherwise option 2. Big climb up to Foyers and even bigger down to Fort A. Probably the fastest JOGLE descent (if you've got the bottle) - definitely preferred.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've used the first option for a JOGLE and a LEJOG and enjoyed the experience. I can't comment on option two as I have not ridden it.

robgul

Legendary Member
Like Vernon I have ridden option 1 both ways - on LEJOG the climb up from Drumnadrochit is probably the worst of the whole ride ... but coming the other way after the long drag up from Beuly it's a pretty good run down :biggrin:

I've driven the other option in a car ... on balance I think I prefer option 1 if on a bike - the A82 is pretty wide and, although it's all relative, I didn't see much traffic either time (LEJOG direction was Thursday, JOGLE a Saturday)

Rob

Rebel Ian

If you are following the loch to Inverness what's the advantage of going the East side rather than West? I was planning on following the A82 all the way to Inverness.

aberal

Veteran
If you are following the loch to Inverness what's the advantage of going the East side rather than West? I was planning on following the A82 all the way to Inverness.

The West route is the main road. It's very busy with tourists, coaches and lorries and yet is very narrow and windy in parts.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
what Aberal says ...

In that particular part of the world quite a few people take their eyes of the road to look at the loch for some reason ....
:whistle: nothing to do with the landscape as such ...

The fewer (fast moving) cars there are to contend with the better, in my book anyway.

The southeastern side is much more scenic, quiet roads, etc. Unless I was in a particular hurry or wanted to ride off-road on the Great Glen cycle route (NCN - a 3rd option, depending on your bike & preferences), I'd choose this one every time.

T

Barbelier

+1 for option 2.

That's the way I went on my JOGLE last September - very quiet route, plenty of wildlife and both Foyers Falls and St Augustus are worth stopping for a break. A bit hilly but worth it!

There's also a good cycle route through Inverness that takes you way from the busier parts.

Last year when I come back south, when I got to Alness I changed my route which had been planned to be similar to your, instead I changed it so from Alness I followed the cycle path to NH 594638, then turned left onto the minor road to the A9, then followed the A9 for approx 2 miles to the Ardullie Lodge roundabout, then crossed the Firth using the A9 Bridge, the took the first left then first right up hill to Culbokie, then right and first left minor road to Crasky. Then followed NCN1, to Munlochy, then still on NCN 1 to Inverness . From Inverness I would go for Option 2 as others have recommended, However I would say that the route from Muir of Ord alongside the Beauly Firth can be quite pleasant

PpPete

Legendary Member
Are you stuck with Loch Ness?

The cycle route which runs more or less parallel to the A9 all the way from Inverness down to Pitlochry is fantastic.
You'd think going over the Cairngorms would be lumpy but I used it last year, and it's really very mild ascents. From Pitlochry we cut across to Crieff and then Dunblane.

Avoids pretty much all main roads that way.

MacPanda

Regular
The cycle route which runs more or less parallel to the A9 all the way from Inverness down to Pitlochry is fantastic.
You'd think going over the Cairngorms would be lumpy but I used it last year, and it's really very mild ascents. From Pitlochry we cut across to Crieff and then Dunblane.

Avoids pretty much all main roads that way.

I took option 1 when I did LEJOG, but used PpPete's suggested route when I did JOGLE. When I do it next time I'd use that again. Drumochter Pass and Slochd Summit are fantastic. Loch Ness route is very pretty and flatter, but you get great descents for all those climbs taking the A9 cyclepath.

Top Bottom