Which long distance bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
Morning all. 40 years ago, I cycled Lands End to JO'G. Took my time on old Puch bike built like a tank.
I'm planning an anniversary repeat for charity later in the year with my daughter.
I've got a Triban 520. Any reason to think this won't make the journey? Any advice for making the bike as trouble free as possible?
Is 60 miles a day realistic for a bloke who cycles 20 miles most days for several yrs now? Reasonable fitness.
Daughter is wanting new bike but struggling to find something with dropped bars and rim brakes. (Doesn't want discs).
Any advice for around £700? Thanks.

Team Pie Tours

Regular
To do LEJOG with your daughter would be a fantastic experience and achievement, and certainly achievable, especially with a realistic target of 60m a day.
A "trouble free bike" is something we are all searching for :laugh: I'd say check and replace if necessary the chain, cassette, tyres, etc on your existing bike and use that.
How much luggage are you expecting to take? Camping or hotel/B+B? That will help guide your daughter as to the best bike to look for

Morning all. 40 years ago, I cycled Lands End to JO'G. Took my time on old Puch bike built like a tank.
I'm planning an anniversary repeat for charity later in the year with my daughter.
I've got a Triban 520. Any reason to think this won't make the journey? Any advice for making the bike as trouble free as possible?
Is 60 miles a day realistic for a bloke who cycles 20 miles most days for several yrs now? Reasonable fitness.
Daughter is wanting new bike but struggling to find something with dropped bars and rim brakes. (Doesn't want discs).
Any advice for around £700? Thanks.
Can you get tyres off easily in case of punctures, understand Tribans have issues with this? Have you done 60 mile rides recently?, seems ambitious day in day out but good luck with your lejog prep :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know the Triban 520 but suggest provided it's properly serviced 7-10 days before you depart it should be fine. If overall maintenance is poor this, not the bike, is likely to be the cause of any failure. Get it done a week or so in advance to be sure everything has settled down after servicing.

Any bike you are comfortable and confident riding should do the job.

I would say 60 miles a day is achievable but you should be used to comfortably riding 50/60 miles before beginning LeJog. By comfortable I mean it's tiring, not exhausting, and doesn't hurt. Prior to setting off I would suggest you try three consecutive 50 mile days to get used to it. Build in a rest day or two.

As for your daughter. Is she a cyclist already? Finding any bike is a struggle at present as demand is high and supply low. It could be worthwhile looking at the secondhand market.

rivers

How far can I go?
If the Triban is comfortable, there is no reason you shouldn't use it for LEJOG. Just check the gearing is okay if you're planning on loaded touring. Having an under geared bike day in and day out is not fun- I found this out the hard way (and we were only gone for 4 days). If the gearing is too high for loaded touring, it's up to you whether or not you swap out the gearing or buy a new bike. New chainrings or a new crankset and cassette will be cheaper than a new bike.

OP
OP
H

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
This is SO helpful and encouraging. I'll practice packing light - took a sleeping bag and tent last time. not a good decision.
Good point re gearing and service before departure.
I'll definitely practice over 50 m for several days with weight. So I'll know after this.
Noted about the Triban - daughter's onto it.
Can you recommend puncture proof tyres. Seems esp important with Triban wheels.
Thanks so much. Made my day!

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s the RC520 gravel model that has the problematic wheels it seems, rather than the 520 roadbike?

Dwn

It’s the RC520 gravel model that has the problematic wheels it seems, rather than the 520 roadbike?
Pretty much all the RC5xx models have the same terrible wheels (in terms of changing tyres), but the OP may have the original Triban 520, which predated the current RC520. I didn’t believe that they have had the same issues.

What a fantastic idea!^_^

I'll leave the bike suggestions to those better equipped than I.

However, I will throw in a few things about long distance touring.

Keeping pace with each other (or not) is something to think about, discuss and practise, if you can.

Practise whatever you want to use for navigation in advance.
In fact, practise everything that you can!^_^

Basic bike maintenace skills will give some confidence so that every odd sound isn't a cause of panic.

You mention a charity. I've read of a few cases where people on charity rides felt under pressure to post updates on Social Media. Not much of a problem on good days, tougher on hard days.

Some people prefer to have every night's accommodation booked in advance, others find that pressurised. If not camping Booking.com, AirBnB and similar can allow for flexibility en route. Of course, knowing the places of high demand helps!

60 mile days should be doable but probably the most important thing is to be comfortable. Once comfortable, 60 mile days can be a pleasure! 30 miles before lunch, 30 after, lots of time for photos and enjoying the experience, nice dinner and a chat. Ready for the next day!

Best of luck to the two of you!

Kajjal

Guru
I would keep a high standard of bike maintenance and also make sure the bike is setup to fit you properly. Riding long distances will quickly show any issues with both. Good luck and take time to enjoy the whole experience including training and preparation :okay:

DRM

Guru
To me as long as the saddle suits your backside, it sounds doable to aim for 30 miles, stop for lunch, then do another 30, the only thing to think about is are you carrying kit with you, or are you going supported, as weight carried may cause an issue, but sounds like a good adventure for you both to me

Team Pie Tours

Regular
If you want as puncture proof tyres as possible, I'd recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tours. The blue section shown, is really tough and prevents thorns, wire etc getting through. The price for this protection is a worse rolling resistance, but that has to be accepted.
I rode a +35kg loaded touring bike about 10,000miles from Brazil to America with these, and had about 3 punctures.
Screenshot_20210308_054115.jpg

Top Bottom