Which lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
New Years resolution is to start cleaning my bike. Gears have been slipping all over the place - noticed a lump of mud stuck all around the gear bits at the back, think it may work better if I clean it off.

I've ordered some Juice degreaser and a chain cleaner thingy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CBBVSXX7A1PP

But need some advice re which lube - the options seem endless. OH has a little squeezy bottle that says halfords bike oil or something on it. He's had the bottle for about a hundred years - is this sufficient?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I got excited when I seen the title of the post :laugh:
I use a dry lube on my chain and it seems to work well.

Biker Joe

Über Member
You are right Sara-H. There are seemingly endless options and every body has their own favourites.
The answers to your question will show you what others are using which should help you decide.
I use Rock n Roll lube . it cleans the chain and relubes in one go. Not cheap but does a really excellent job and does what it says on the bottle.
Usually, whatever is suggested, someone likes something else better. Good luck.:biggrin:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst it's no doubt true that some lubricants are better than others for some specific purpose, I tend to the view that for non-critical applications (eg bikes) what really matters is lubricated at all, as opposed to neglected.

In particular, providing the chain has some kind of oil on it, job's a good 'un.

Booyaa

Veteran
As said, everyone has a favourite and a reason not to user other ones, these reasons are usually totally contradicted a couple of posts later. I currently use Decathlon chain oil which does the job so far but I've not cycled much over the past 12 months. I would guess that most oils are better than no oils! Good luck.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
New Years resolution is to start cleaning my bike. Gears have been slipping all over the place - noticed a lump of mud stuck all around the gear bits at the back, think it may work better if I clean it off.

I've ordered some Juice degreaser and a chain cleaner thingy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CBBVSXX7A1PP

But need some advice re which lube - the options seem endless. OH has a little squeezy bottle that says halfords bike oil or something on it. He's had the bottle for about a hundred years - is this sufficient?
Yes chain lube is an important factor and as there are so many different opinions, I won't even go there however, a clean chain is always the best starting point, regardless of what lube you use. In my early cycling years I used a chain cleaner bath but then found muck-off spray on degreaser. Its about £8 and comes in a fairly decent size aerosol (current can has lasted me over a year) spray over chain and ALL gear mechs etc, leave for 10 mins and spray off with hose, job done! Either leave to dry naturally or blow dry with hair dryer (yes seriously) then re-lube once dry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Another noob rtelated question..

Dry lube for dry weather, yes ?
Wet lube for wet weather, yes?
I find when I use wet lube I pick up all sorts of s*** ...

Top Bottom