Which lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A sin of which I've been guilty all my life. I openly admit to never cleaning my bikes. But now I've seen the error of my ways and plan to clean all the family bikes on a frequent basis.

Good to hear Sara :thumbsup:
Good thing about regular cleaning is that you get to learn the mechanics of a bike and can pinpoint any faults at an early stage.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
You get me wrong.
A dirty bike is a bike that has been ridden.
No problem with that.
Leaving a bike dirty after a ride is a different matter.

You say that but sometimes I just haven't got the energy to tell the butler to do it.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Wowzers! Finally found out what sundays are for.

All my cleaning products finally arrived. I set to work on the OH's bike first. It's 3 years old and has never been cleaned :eek:

Gave it a spray all over with the green oil bike cleaning spray, then set to work on the chain and cogs with the chain scrubbing machine and juicy degreaser. Excuse my terminology, but at the back there are two small cogs that hang down below the main set of cogs? Well, they weren't cog shaped any more, they were just black lumps!
I have no idea how this bike was still moving. I used tooth brushes and purple harry's bike cleaning floss and got the entire mechanism spotless. I then gave the entire bike a scrub all over with the green oil bike brush and left it to dry. Spayed a bit of purple harry dewatering spray on the mechanism and frame and then oiled the chain with green oil chain lube. Bike is sparkling clean and working like a sweet dream!

I did mine the next day, didn't take as long as it wasnt as dirty, but there was a lot of mushed up leaves in the mechanism - the purple Harry bike cleaning floss is great for scrubbing them out.

Feel so happy to have sparkling clean bikes in the porch - I wish I'd taken before and after photo's - the transformation of OH's bike was amazing! They smell good too!

Leaving a bike dirty after a ride is a different matter.

Ah....

Best not mention the MTB that I took out on Xmas Eve and is sat in the shed caked in mud. It was its first proper ride since a full strip and rebuild, it'll be ready for the same by now!

I really need to get that outside tap fitted - traipsing in and out with muddy shoes, trying not to let a senile cat out, with a bucket of water just doesn't work.

+1 I've tried all the 'cycle specific' lube gimmicks; wet lube, dry lube, ceramic lube and so on, but now I save ££££'s and also use chainsaw oil. I'll never pay for overpriced 'cycle lube' again :thumbsup:

I have been using it for the past few days. Ill see what the chain is tomorrow as its my 55 mile clean day.
Mind you it is v cheap.

uclown2002

Guru
I've got in the habit now of doing a quick 10-15 min post ride clean every time.
Mickle chain, baby wipe cassette, brake pads and rim. If very dirty then quick spray of muc-off and wipe down otherwise baby wipe rest of bike.

If necessary it might get a deeper clean once a week.

I'm sure components will last longer also.

young Ed

Veteran
i just keep a rag in the shed along with the bike quick wipe down after each ride and a proper clean with warm water a scrubbing brush a couple sponges and that caravan cleaner/soap/shiner thingy stuff! does a great job, but my rims aern't looking great now so will do them tomorrow along with 10 trillion other things! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Ah....

Best not mention the MTB that I took out on Xmas Eve and is sat in the shed caked in mud. It was its first proper ride since a full strip and rebuild, it'll be ready for the same by now!

I really need to get that outside tap fitted - traipsing in and out with muddy shoes, trying not to let a senile cat out, with a bucket of water just doesn't work.
Have you goy a water butt? I used rain water and a watering can. Better than traipsing in and out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If there is a buildup of crud in the gear cluster I would suggest digging it out first with a "stick", wooden kebab skewers seem to be the best for this but I suggest doing this outside on the road as this stuff sticks to your slabs like s##t to a blanket.
This saves a great deal of cleaner then I would agree with Rickshaw Phil chainsaw oil is the best, little and often being the golden rule.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wowzers! Finally found out what sundays are for.

All my cleaning products finally arrived. I set to work on the OH's bike first. It's 3 years old and has never been cleaned :eek:

Gave it a spray all over with the green oil bike cleaning spray, then set to work on the chain and cogs with the chain scrubbing machine and juicy degreaser. Excuse my terminology, but at the back there are two small cogs that hang down below the main set of cogs? Well, they weren't cog shaped any more, they were just black lumps!
I have no idea how this bike was still moving. I used tooth brushes and purple harry's bike cleaning floss and got the entire mechanism spotless. I then gave the entire bike a scrub all over with the green oil bike brush and left it to dry. Spayed a bit of purple harry dewatering spray on the mechanism and frame and then oiled the chain with green oil chain lube. Bike is sparkling clean and working like a sweet dream!

I did mine the next day, didn't take as long as it wasnt as dirty, but there was a lot of mushed up leaves in the mechanism - the purple Harry bike cleaning floss is great for scrubbing them out.

Feel so happy to have sparkling clean bikes in the porch - I wish I'd taken before and after photo's - the transformation of OH's bike was amazing! They smell good too!

I've got a couple of dirty bikes you can do a before and after on if you want. What time do you want to come round? :whistle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ref the chainsaw oil, is that a general chainsaw oil. I can see there being at least 3 types of possible chainsaw oil : oil for the chain itself, oil for a 2 stroke engine or oil for the engine / drive / gear box.
To be clear: it's the oil for the chain. Use sparingly (a drop on each roller) and wipe off the excess well as per the method Scoosh linked to and it does a good job.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom