Which mid range direct drive trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
I rode one on my bike fit & would swap my Neo for it.
What are the benefits over the Neo, less lag?

Milzy

Guru
What are the benefits over the Neo, less lag?
Non really, just the Neo measures power at the hub after drive train losses so your at a disadvantage racing in Zwift. Also if you stomp power through the Neo you get slip because of the magnetic system. The KickR units just complement you more but for realism the Neo wins.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Non really, just the Neo measures power at the hub after drive train losses so your at a disadvantage racing in Zwift. Also if you stomp power through the Neo you get slip because of the magnetic system. The KickR units just complement you more but for realism the Neo wins.
The big negative I found with the Kickr (although this was the Kickr v1) was that it overheats on long steep climbs, and then just stops working! It's fine on Zwift racing so long as you set the realism to <50%, or on climbs if you set the realism to <20% But, if you want that real climb feel the NEO for me wins hands down.

My power numbers were not dissimilar between the Kickr or my NEO2. Not used the Core so can't compare that.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I’ve had my turbo overheat on the Alpe (on a hot August day). It’s an entry level offering that is left in the dark by all of those mentioned in this thread but it was still a frustrating experience!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I’ve had my turbo overheat on the Alpe (on a hot August day). It’s an entry level offering that is left in the dark by all of those mentioned in this thread but it was still a frustrating experience!
The newer Kickrs I hope are better than the v1. I believe having a fan on the unit helps cool it down but never tried it (bought the NEO instead :laugh: )

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
I did a test ride at local lbs on the kickr & was very impressed (so was the salesman when I slipped on the pedal & momentarily put out 800watts). I went with the kickr core & so far so good. Quiet & very responsive.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I did a test ride at local lbs on the kickr & was very impressed (so was the salesman when I slipped on the pedal & momentarily put out 800watts). I went with the kickr core & so far so good. Quiet & very responsive.

I hope you styled it out and acted like you'd have hit a higher number if not for the slip!

Top Bottom