Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello there my Silent Kickr V4, and Silent Kickr Core users or pending users. I've decided to make public a few niggles which some users have been having with Wahoo's latest Silent Kickr. These issues have been made public else where, I'm not the first and probably wont be the last.

The two common mechanical problems are knocking and a drone sound whilst using the turbo.

Knocking noise

The knocking usually occurs whilst varying pedalling power, either applying more or relaxing. This is caused by the bolt on the bottom pulley, not being tightened properly. It holds the pulley in place by way of a Woodruff key assembly, the Woodruff key is not an interference fit and has a little free play. If the bolt is loose or works loose then the pulley twists on the shaft causing the clunk.

See below the location of the bolt. The remedy is to undo the bolt apply a little more blue thread-lock paste and re-tighten properly(hand tight with Allen key, but not excessive).

Edit, I've heard that Wahoo are replacing the Woodruff key for one that is a tighter fit. I'll look into this and report back

20181002_165819.jpg

20181002_100117.jpg

Drone noise

This I tracked down after my belt was very squeaky after a turbo session and the drone noise appeared. I removed the belt to isolate the fault and found its in the main flywheel assembly. There is nothing you can do to remedy this fault if you've ridden the turbo at all from new- its a warranty return to the supplier or Wahoo.

I believe it's down to the belt tension being too tight. The belt can have only few few mm slack from new, but once slackened mine worked even upto 12mm of play (measured from cowling)

20181011_142139.jpg

When you've ridden the turbo for a period the pulleys slightly expand and increase further the tension, this then damaged the bearings(flat spotting the balls and race)-once damaged that is it!

Listen here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRo19Zn213A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpvDC4giIc

Remedy to both problems

I reckon there is a potential remedy to both problems, if you take immediate steps when your new Silent Kickr arrives.

Before you ride the kickr!!

Remove the side cowling, its held on with a variety of small screws and Allen bolts. Its very easy to remove to see the fully belt path and tensioner.

Remove the centre bolt and apply thread lock and tighten- this cures knocking sounds

Secondly

slacken the belt tension off.

Loosen the the tensioner holding bolt on the plate and then with a 2.5mm Allen key wind anti-clockwise 5 full turns. Dont forget to retighten the lock bolt on the plate.

You could go more until you feel the belt slip on the bottom pulley- then apply just a little more tension to the point it doesn't slip. This will relieve the pressure on the flywheel bearings and remove the belt squeak.

Edit 12 October '18

This is my turbo now after belt tension has been reduced. The noise is still there but much reduced .

View: https://youtu.be/ETxvT9pG7SU

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hello there my Silent Kickr V4, and Silent Kickr Core users or pending users. I've decided to make public a few niggles which some users have been having with Wahoo's latest Silent Kickr. These issues have been made public else where, I'm not the first and probably wont be the last.

The two common mechanical problems are knocking and a drone sound whilst using the turbo.

Knocking noise

The knocking usually occurs whilst varying pedalling power, either applying more or relaxing. This is caused by the bolt on the bottom pulley, not being tightened properly. It holds the pulley in place by way of a Woodruff key assembly, the Woodruff key is not an interference fit and has a little free play. If the bolt is loose or works loose then the pulley twists on the shaft causing the clunk.

See below the location of the bolt. The remedy is to undo the bolt apply a little more blue thread-lock paste and re-tighten properly(hand tight with Allen key, but not excessive).

View attachment 433567

View attachment 433578

Drone noise

This I tracked down after my belt was very squeaky after a turbo session and the drone noise appeared. I removed the belt to isolate the fault and found its in the main flywheel assembly. There is nothing you can do to remedy this fault if you've ridden the turbo at all from new- its a warranty return to the supplier or Wahoo.

I believe it's down to the belt tension being too tight. The belt can have only few few mm slack from new, but once slackened mine worked even upto 12mm of play

View attachment 433575

When you've ridden the turbo for a period the pulleys slightly expand and increase further the tension, this then damaged the bearings(flat spotting the balls and race)-once damaged that is it!

Listen here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRo19Zn213A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpvDC4giIc

Remedy to both problems

I reckon there is a potential remedy to both problems, if you take immediate steps when your new Silent Kickr arrives.

Before you ride the kickr!!

Remove the side cowling, its held on with a variety of small screws and Allen bolts. Its very easy to remove to see the fully belt path and tensioner.

Remove the centre bolt and apply thread lock and tighten- this cures knocking sounds

Secondly

slacken the belt tension off.

Loosen the the tensioner holding bolt on the plate and then with a 2.5mm Allen key wind anti-clockwise 5 full turns. Dont forget to retighten the lock bolt on the plate.

You could go more until you feel the belt slip on the bottom pulley- then apply just a little more tension to the point it doesn't slip. This will relieve the pressure on the flywheel bearings and remove the belt squeak.

Thanks Andy, very helpful :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Changed my mind to TacX Neo.

I don't blame you having doubts. This is poor QC from Wahoo. Their earlier versions have been extremely reliable. My own V1 Kickr has been fantastic over several years.

The Silent Kickr V4 design is almost identical to the V1, difference a tooth belt replaced by V-ribbed belt for silent running. These are two minor issues which should not have happened. They are easily remedied and should, if done before riding will result in a reliable turbo. I expect Wahoo are already checking their production methods to ensure the later ones don't suffer the same silly issues.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Changed my mind to TacX Neo.
When is the Tacx Climb coming out, and will it be backward compatible with the older Neo's?? So far Tacx haven't responded to my email's, but compared to my current turbo, that had m average 420 watts for 31 minutes tonight, these issues with the Kickr which are know and easily remedied are minor. It's a bit like my car, I bought it knowing that the 2AD engine had a design fault, which was fatal, I also knew that the remedy was a 3/4 Re-manufactured engine from the manufacturer, with a 100,000Km, 7 year warranty ... Yep my engine exhibited symptoms and the engine was replaced for free.

Milzy

Guru
When is the Tacx Climb coming out, and will it be backward compatible with the older Neo's?? So far Tacx haven't responded to my email's, but compared to my current turbo, that had m average 420 watts for 31 minutes tonight, these issues with the Kickr which are know and easily remedied are minor. It's a bit like my car, I bought it knowing that the 2AD engine had a design fault, which was fatal, I also knew that the remedy was a 3/4 Re-manufactured engine from the manufacturer, with a 100,000Km, 7 year warranty ... Yep my engine exhibited symptoms and the engine was replaced for free.
I don’t know but anyone who spends a few hundred on something that raises your front wheel up in Zwift needs to give their head a shake.

I adjusted the belt this morning and there is a noticeable differance ,the belt was very tight with next to no deviation, slackened of by about 6 turns of the ajustable screw and retighted the lock blot, just nipped up the bolt on the pully ,which on the core is a 9/16" bolt not an Allen bolt,
All I hear now when riding is the sound of the drive train on the bike which I think needs slight ajustment
Thanks for the tips Andy

IMG_20181012_061252471.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I adjusted the belt this morning and there is a noticeable differance ,the belt was very tight with next to no deviation, slackened of by about 6 turns of the ajustable screw and retighted the lock blot, just nipped up the bolt on the pully ,which on the core is a 9/16" bolt not an Allen bolt,
All I hear now when riding is the sound of the drive train on the bike which I think needs slight ajustment
Thanks for the tips Andy

View attachment 433633

You're welcome. Funny how the Core has a cross head bolt and not the Allen head. Would of thought standard parts, cheaper production.

Glad you were able to intercept the problem before damage was done. Keep a look out whilst under warranty incase the bearings do start to make a noise. I think mine are slightly damaged already, but are much, much quieter after loosening the belt.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

I don’t think there’s anything really between the two units either aleman. Like you say, who knows if / when tacx are planning to produce a ‘climb’.

I really rate both companies in general.

Spiderdudeuk

Interesting... It’s actually my video at the start.

I returned that unit and got a replacement, took some time to do as support was very slow.

I got the new one about 10 days ago.

After 75 miles, the new one started exhibiting exactly the same problems but far worse. The video link below is just one of several I have showing varying degrees of problem.

View: https://youtu.be/LdBp7P-p_LM

When I spend £1k on a piece of equipment, I expect it to work without having to resort to pre-operation maintenance. Wahoo have really let themselves down.

As a result, I’ve asked for a refund and yesterday bought a Tacx Neo..

Lost faith completely in them, which is a shame as I love the design compared to the Tacx.

Top Bottom