Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Has there been any official announcement from Wahoo on this issue?

I'm not sure of an official recall. They're asking folk to send back their Kickr's when these issues arise. Currently and rather stupidly, they are then sending out a new Kickr without the build issues being sorted. Several users have commented on being on their 3rd new Kickr:banghead:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Kickr 2018 is back in stock at Wiggle ... At full RRP though, and it doesn't seem to want to offer me my Gold Discount on it either :cry:

Spiderdudeuk

I can't even get them to respond to my emails regarding a collection of my 2nd unit.... Not very impressed with this at all, I had to contact Ian Manning in the UK to push them along for the 1st exchange.

I'll be taking further steps should they not respond by Friday, which is unfortunate. But Wahoo have lost an awful lot of good faith over this problem.

ATI

Regular
Hello,

First, I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience. Nice job !

I've just received my Kickr Core 3 days ago, 1 month after having bought it !
It's my first smart trainer and hope it will last.
I started riding it without any trouble, I expected it to be completly silent but I can hear very little whine (belt ?) at some speed when accelerating or slowing down.
On my second ride, I heard a strange vibration at hight speed, like an imbalance fan. Fortunately, it was some "chevron" stickers on the wheel which were unstuck and were hitting the ground at each revolution. I decided to put all stickers off ! I finished this ride without any noise.
At this time, the Kickr as worked for 1h30.
Then, by chance I saw your thread with the numerous faulty Kickr and the solution to avoid troubles ! The thing that scaried me is the fact that Wahoo sent faulty replacement unit too ! Unbelievable…
So I decided to open mine to "check". I first checked the 9/16 bolt tightening. It was already good. No need to tighten more. Then I checked the belt. Indeed, it was very tight. So I put 4 turns on the tensionning screw to give more slack.
Then I've done an one hour ride (after recalibrating power). The Core still works without any strange sound, and nothing changed with the additionnal slack on the belt.
There is still a very little "whine" at some speeds (nothing to compare with the 2017 !!! Problably the sound is amplified by the wall next to it (30cm) of my little balcony) but it tends to reduce after 20mn.

I would be good to know if the next shipped units will have the same belt tensionning or if Wahoo will change some parts, maybe a big "recall" to come ?

I hope I won't have to return it this winter…

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
How about some pictures?

@ATI What you've done won't harm the turbo at all. It sounds like the bearings have been damaged a little, like mine, but not so bad to warrant sending back immediately. I will be waiting too to see what Wahoo do.

I'm toying with the idea of making the repairs myself if Wahoo don't sort it out . I've been researching types of bearings suitable. I have most of the tools to pull and install bearings, just don't fancy doing it- it will instantly void my warranty. :laugh:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
@ATI What you've done won't harm the turbo at all. It sounds like the bearings have been damaged a little, like mine, but not so bad to warrant sending back immediately. I will be waiting too to see what Wahoo do.

I'm toying with the idea of making the repairs myself if Wahoo don't sort it out . I've been researching types of bearings suitable. I have most of the tools to pull and install bearings, just don't fancy doing it- it will instantly void my warranty. :laugh:
So you have one of these

FAIHC212C.jpg

and one of these

Wood-Bolster-Chisels-Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Cold-Chisel-10-x-1in~T3274_501632_00.jpg

and one of these

10289_HT-PLUG.jpg

ATI

Regular

Thanks for your answer CXRAndy ;-)

Why do you say that my bearings are damaged a little ? The only noise comes from the belt (and it's a "shrill" sound very low. It's the same kind of sound that the kickr 2017 but only at some speeds and much much low. It's behaving like this from the first pedal stroke.
I feel no vibration nor other noise like those you've described.
I 've prefered to give some slack to the belt to "prevent" any future damage. Let's see how it will behave in the next weeks.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for your answer CXRAndy ;-)

Why do you say that my bearings are damaged a little ? The only noise comes from the belt (and it's a "shrill" sound very low. It's the same kind of sound that the kickr 2017 but only at some speeds and much much low. It's behaving like this from the first pedal stroke.
I feel no vibration nor other noise like those you've described.
I 've prefered to give some slack to the belt to "prevent" any future damage. Let's see how it will behave in the next weeks.

Sorry, misunderstood. My Kickr has a drone which comes and goes. before I reduced the tension the drone was constantly there. My belt was really tight and was actually wearing and dropping dust in less than 2 weeks.

ATI

Regular
Sorry, misunderstood. My Kickr has a drone which comes and goes. before I reduced the tension the drone was constantly there. My belt was really tight and was actually wearing and dropping dust in less than 2 weeks.
No problem, my english is not perfect so it could be confused to understand. I stay "aware" of this kickrgate evolution. So wait and see…

Just done 12 mile around New York on Zwift had my ear phones in listening to the back ground noise, after about 10 minutes I could hear a very faint clicking and my heart sank , I stoped peddling and earbuds out and could still hear it but louder
Got of the bike and hand on the small drum with the chevrons and that's when I noticed that 3 of the chevrons had started to peal and we're flapping and hitting the casing near the electrical conection, a quick smooth down and all quiet again

Top Bottom