Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Given how common this/these faults are I am surprised they were not picked up by reviewers. Its unlike the NEO issues which afflicted a small but significant percentage of users. I am cynical by nature but will be even more wary of gushing reviews in future.
For the record I LOVE my Wahoo tickr and Bolt.

Last edited:

TossiToker

Here are the parts you replace, Then you get 100 usd and shop for at wahoo store if you make it yourself

Attachments

• tools.png
    tools.png
    14 KB · Views: 474

ATI

Regular
Hello guys,

After 200km, my Core started to make the knocking noise !
That is strange because I've already checked the tightness of the bolt and it was already good and I've given some slack to the belt…! I'm going to open it tomorrow to figure it out…
I wonder if it is just a setting issue (belt tension, bolt tightening) or if it is faulty (low cost) components ?

trex021

Wahoo sent me the three parts TossiToker mentioned above and I swapped them out. No knocking in my first ride post repair.

They gave me three options:
1. Receive the parts and replace them myself. Get the $100 Wahoo store code.
2. Receive a rebuilt KICKR immediately, send mine back
3. Wait for a new KICKR, send mine back

Option 1 worked well for me and I think everyone should take advantage of it even if the OP's method worked for you. I measured the old and replacement keys with calipers and the new one is larger. That alone should convince everyone to do it.

One last thing: In the replacement instructions from Wahoo, the following is stated: "Warning: Wahoo strongly advises against setting belt tension outside of factory settings! Please take every precaution to ensure belt tension is set to original/factory setting before operating." I just want to put this out there so those who are considering the OP's suggestion to loosen the belt tension know that Wahoo is advising against it. The OP may very well be correct. Just be aware of what Wahoo is advising

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello guys,

After 200km, my Core started to make the knocking noise !
That is strange because I've already checked the tightness of the bolt and it was already good and I've given some slack to the belt…! I'm going to open it tomorrow to figure it out…
I wonder if it is just a setting issue (belt tension, bolt tightening) or if it is faulty (low cost) components ?

Knocking noise is the woodruff key being too small and the torque of the flywheel, it will move the bottom pulley on the shaft. Do a little video whilst its clunking. Contact Wahoo via their website.-create account
Put name, serial number, video clip. You will be given a job code, which you use to process getting the kit. They will request your address at some point
Took 4 days for Wahoo to agree to send kit to me

Milzy

Guru
Given how common this/these faults are I am surprised they were not picked up by reviewers. Its unlike the NEO issues which afflicted a small but significant percentage of users. I am cynical by nature but will be even more wary of gushing reviews in future.
I love my TickR & bolt but had to go for the Neo.

ATI

Regular
Thanks for your answers.

Even with the picture of the replacement kit, I dont visualize what is the woodruff key and where it is located on the trainer ?

Thanks

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for your answers.

Even with the picture of the replacement kit, I dont visualize what is the woodruff key and where it is located on the trainer ?

Thanks

Woodruff key, is the rectangle shape under the pulley bolt,. Here is an example of the slot it fits into
20181019_162439.jpg

I
Woodruff key, is the rectangle shape under the pulley bolt,. Here is an example of the slot it fits into View attachment 435340
Any chance you could measure the Woodruff key you have please just to compare against the core one

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

It ‘should’ have been picked up by wahoo surely. Or maybe it was but they didn’t want to delay the release. Maybe I should take my silver foil hat off! But it is odd...

But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was picked up by reviewers and wahoo told them they were going to sort it so no need to mention it. These guys are in the pockets of the big companies without a doubt.

Very glad it looks like it’s being sorted though. If this was Bkool the guys would still be waiting for a first response, or getting generic emails about something totally different...

bobinski

Legendary Member
It ‘should’ have been picked up by wahoo surely. Or maybe it was but they didn’t want to delay the release. Maybe I should take my silver foil hat off! But it is odd...

But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was picked up by reviewers and wahoo told them they were going to sort it so no need to mention it. These guys are in the pockets of the big companies without a doubt.

Very glad it looks like it’s being sorted though. If this was Bkool the guys would still be waiting for a first response, or getting generic emails about something totally different...

And lo and behold it gets best turbo trainer award today in cycling weekly ! And despite concerns over fluctuating and overly high power readings:laugh:

Can I borrow that tin foil hat?

Milzy

Guru
And lo and behold it gets best turbo trainer award today in cycling weekly ! And despite concerns over fluctuating and overly high power readings:laugh:

Can I borrow that tin foil hat?
No wonder Oliver Bridgewood left cycling weekly. Ollie who I met at the Fred Whitton loves his TacX Neo. He’s a guy who really knows his stuff.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
No wonder Oliver Bridgewood left cycling weekly. Ollie who I met at the Fred Whitton loves his TacX Neo. He’s a guy who really knows his stuff.

To be fair what they actually think and what they’re paid to say might not be the same thing. Some of the shite I’ve said to customers over the years... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom