Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
To be fair what they actually think and what they’re paid to say might not be the same thing. Some of the shite I’ve said to customers over the years... :rolleyes:
I get your point but he’s a man of integrity.

ATI

Regular
Knocking noise is the woodruff key being too small and the torque of the flywheel, it will move the bottom pulley on the shaft. Do a little video whilst its clunking. Contact Wahoo via their website.-create account
Put name, serial number, video clip. You will be given a job code, which you use to process getting the kit. They will request your address at some point
Took 4 days for Wahoo to agree to send kit to me

I gave some spin to the freewheel but no more knocking noise this morning. I disassembled the belt and indeed, the bolt of the bottom pulley was not enought tight. I even could feel the freeplay by hand. I first tightened this bolt, then I tightened the screw on the side of this pulley (2mm allen key). I don't know what is its function ? Is it to eliminate the freeplay between the pulley and the axle ?
Then I retightened the belt to the factory setting.

Question : @CXRAndy , you said that your kickr was damaged (still ear a sound), even with your fixing method. Do you think that with the Wahoo replacement kit it will eliminate the sound you still ear from your pulley, and in fact, no other part of your trainer are damaged ?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I gave some spin to the freewheel but no more knocking noise this morning. I disassembled the belt and indeed, the bolt of the bottom pulley was not enought tight. I even could feel the freeplay by hand. I first tightened this bolt, then I tightened the screw on the side of this pulley (2mm allen key). I don't know what is its function ? Is it to eliminate the freeplay between the pulley and the axle ?
Then I retightened the belt to the factory setting.

Question : @CXRAndy , you said that your kickr was damaged (still ear a sound), even with your fixing method. Do you think that with the Wahoo replacement kit it will eliminate the sound you still ear from your pulley, and in fact, no other part of your trainer are damaged ?

I dont know if the kit will fix my vibration (harmonic)/damage elsewhere. Im guessing, maybe the very tight belt is to dampen down flywheel oscillation so not to vibrate. My vibration comes and goes in waves. I will tighten belt to original setting to check if it improves the vibrations, good or bad :smile:

ATI

Regular
I dont know if the kit will fix my vibration (harmonic)/damage elsewhere. Im guessing, maybe the very tight belt is to dampen down flywheel oscillation so not to vibrate. My vibration comes and goes in waves. I will tighten belt to original setting to check if it improves the vibrations, good or bad :smile:

Just to check, have thought about flywheel balancing ? Maybe your vibrations could come from here ?
There's a guy who dit this fix on his kickr 2 :

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just to update the kit has a wider woodruff key, it is 0.1mm larger, which makes a snug fit.
The bolt and washer are larger than the original allen head bolt.

Ive seen that video re balancing, mine is quite pronounced. Im in communication with Wahoo

Milzy

Guru
Even loads of TacX Neos are having loads of issues with grinding noises.

ozlinzee

Even loads of TacX Neos are having loads of issues with grinding noises.
Looking at one of these to move away from the four KICKR disasters. Be interested if you could post a link to recent problems with the NEO.
There are past reports of scraping problems due to a small grain of sand size particle inside the disc causing scaling due the the close clearances and dislodged during transit. Tacx have said it will usually go away with use and causes no damage. If it persists Tacx have supplied a tool when asked to remove the disc so it can be cleaned inside and refitted. Usually this is if the particle is metallic and it sticks to the magnets inside. The other option people have had is they can send it back. Watching Shane Millars video it's not hard with the tool.
Done a lot of research on the NEO since the KICKR disasters and this only happens on a few and unlike on the KICKR issues not every one.
Some on the NEO have have reported what their calling tyre slip with very high watts and low cadence. Don't think I'd have that problem.

Since I backed of the tightness on the belt on my core ( Thanks CXRAndy ) have put a few hundred miles on it it is now total silent ,the only thing I hear is the chain, let's hope it stays like this ,the serial number starts 4018 possibly built the 4th month of 2018, I have a total of 660km on it at the moment

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Looking at one of these to move away from the four KICKR disasters. Be interested if you could post a link to recent problems with the NEO.
There are past reports of scraping problems due to a small grain of sand size particle inside the disc causing scaling due the the close clearances and dislodged during transit. Tacx have said it will usually go away with use and causes no damage. If it persists Tacx have supplied a tool when asked to remove the disc so it can be cleaned inside and refitted. Usually this is if the particle is metallic and it sticks to the magnets inside. The other option people have had is they can send it back. Watching Shane Millars video it's not hard with the tool.
Done a lot of research on the NEO since the KICKR disasters and this only happens on a few and unlike on the KICKR issues not every one.
Some on the NEO have have reported what their calling tyre slip with very high watts and low cadence. Don't think I'd have that problem.
The Neo owners group on Facebook is really good. There’s some good guys with a lot of knowledge & experience. I’m a big fan of Shane but there’s a different noise to the one you describe in his video. That’s a very metallic sound, the other sound is like a steel fabricator using a hand tool file on some steel plate in a vice.
Apart from that I’m impressed with the rest. I should take it back though as the Neo 2 is out after Christmas.

ozlinzee

Review of the Tacx Neo 2.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C582YRKNiAw&t=0s

Mmm. All KICKR's sent back and refunds on two in the coming days. No trainer currently.
Do I wait for this new one or go for the current. Some good deals on the current at the moment.
Decisions to make. Wanted to like the KICKR but two many issues. They probably lost out on a sale on the climb because of the issues I had.

GPLama

Given how common this/these faults are I am surprised they were not picked up by reviewers. Its unlike the NEO issues which afflicted a small but significant percentage of users. I am cynical by nature but will be even more wary of gushing reviews in future.
For the record I LOVE my Wahoo tickr and Bolt.

To reply to this - It's impossible to 'review' something that hasn't happened to me/my Kickr. A lot of the time we'll get things a week or two prior to embargo lifting, get a few rides in, and talk about that experience. I'll usually link people over to DCR and/or encourage people to do their own research, which includes finding threads exactly like this one.

In the past few weeks I've had emails, direct messages, comments, tweets, you name it - from people contacting me with their CORE/Kickr18 issues. I've heard them all. I acknowledge them. And it sucks when things fall apart.... but I'm not Wahoo, I'm not a bike shop, I'm not... even wanted on YouTube (true story!).... so there's not a lot I can do. It's up to Wahoo to fix their problems..... And yeah, it's having a negative impact on how people see the content I make.

This is why making views/reviews/videos isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Doing everything possible to be honest and transparent, nope, still not good enough. Ideally we'd be able to 'update' videos on YouTube with additional information. That'd be great. It's not possible.

Be cynical. Ask questions. By all means spin up a review or two yourself and get the word out. I'll link to it if the information is relevant or interesting. If it's a topic of discussion then I'll bring it up in a chat/live video.... but that's buried away where nobody will see it. Unless I make a single video announcement about other people's issues... it won't be seen. And nobody wants to watch a YouTube channel full of warranty/recall information.

btw - My Neo issues only appeared 12-18 months after getting the unit. And I was pissed at those, so I made a video.

tldr; I can't 'review' issues that haven't happened to me. If I was to make something up, I'd be bullshitting people. That's not how I roll.

Top Bottom