Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a TCR disc. Was using defy on NEO. No issues. noticed yesterday the flat mounted disc brake on TCR has made contact with NEO casing causing a slight indentation. I checked when I fitted and there was 3-4mm gap so can only assume sprinting has caused the 2 to come into contact. I am going to fit a spacer to increase the gap.

Bob, just loosen the caliper and move further away. Its easy to realign on bike after-even a lawyer could do it :smile:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Bob, just loosen the caliper and move further away. Its easy to realign on bike after-even a lawyer could do it :smile:

Andy, it’s me that’s the klutz so don’t diss the profession!
Might be safer for me to put the defy back on :biggrin:

Erlenmeyer

My Kickr 18 is due to be repaired on Monday so I should have it back middle of next week, assuming what my bike shop was told is correct. Three weeks without the unit after having only had it one week. If this repair doesn't solve the problem or a new one arises I hope I can just get a refund. The bike shop I got it from seems loathe to even consider a refund or exchange and since I bought it from a shop I can't deal directly with Wahoo.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
DSal of goods act not fit for purpose. Plus if you bought it with a credit card you can claim through the card issuer.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My Kickr 18 is due to be repaired on Monday so I should have it back middle of next week, assuming what my bike shop was told is correct. Three weeks without the unit after having only had it one week. If this repair doesn't solve the problem or a new one arises I hope I can just get a refund. The bike shop I got it from seems loathe to even consider a refund or exchange and since I bought it from a shop I can't deal directly with Wahoo.

What is it doing, noises, clunking, scraping. or is it resistance related?

ozlinzee

Don't see why not that's what I did for one I purchased from a local bike shop. A refund comes via the bike shop instead of directly from Wahoo. That's what the Wahoo support area is for not just for products directly from them.
The bike shop didn't seem to know what to do. I had to step in to get things happening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe tempting fate here, but I believe Ive fixed my Kickr'18 of vibration issues. Im not going to post the work involved yet. Ill test it for a few weeks to fully satisfy myself Ive made a good repair.

The work to solve this is quite involved and not for the non practical (Bob) :smile:

If anyone is suffering with flywheel vibration and wants to know how to remedy this themselves, send a PM. Ill give you a brief of what you need to do to solve it. Then its upto you whether you want to attempt it.

Suffice to say I expect there are going to be quite a few returns to Wahoo in the long run

TWitko

Maybe tempting fate here, but I believe Ive fixed my Kickr'18 of vibration issues. Im not going to post the work involved yet. Ill test it for a few weeks to fully satisfy myself Ive made a good repair ...

Just a question - is your previous advice (to release a belt tension - to give it a little bit more slack) still valid ?
I appreciate your reply .... TW

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just a question - is your previous advice (to release a belt tension - to give it a little bit more slack) still valid ?
I appreciate your reply .... TW

I believe it will help, but there is a more fundamental issue, to the flywheel vibration. By backing off tension a little, there is less strain on the drive. Cant say more than that currently.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Maybe tempting fate here, but I believe Ive fixed my Kickr'18 of vibration issues. Im not going to post the work involved yet. Ill test it for a few weeks to fully satisfy myself Ive made a good repair.

The work to solve this is quite involved and not for the non practical (Bob) :smile:

If anyone is suffering with flywheel vibration and wants to know how to remedy this themselves, send a PM. Ill give you a brief of what you need to do to solve it. Then its upto you whether you want to attempt it.

Suffice to say I expect there are going to be quite a few returns to Wahoo in the long run

Andy,
Are you minded to reach out to Wahoo ir elsewhere on this or have you already done so?
In the meantime I reckon a lot of recent Kickr users are looking at reduced NEO prices with some envy.

bobinski

Legendary Member
E878BDC6-EDCB-469A-877C-A148DDBDAB19.png
On Zwift riders .

Seems pretty rare. Someone has posted to dcr with a similar experience.
Main upshot is that unlike Kickr trainer not user serviceable.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Andy,
Are you minded to reach out to Wahoo ir elsewhere on this or have you already done so?
In the meantime I reckon a lot of recent Kickr users are looking at reduced NEO prices with some envy.

Yes Bob, ive offered my discovery to them, just awaiting response and reaction

Erlenmeyer

What is it doing, noises, clunking, scraping. or is it resistance related?
I only rode it three times before I discovered the knocking with each pedal stroke. Before I discovered this thread, I was convinced it was something on my bike. After eliminating all issues and paying close attention to what was happening, I became convinced something was moving inside the kickr....then I discovered this thread about the knocking issue.

The knock was the only issue I noticed with my unit.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I only rode it three times before I discovered the knocking with each pedal stroke. Before I discovered this thread, I was convinced it was something on my bike. After eliminating all issues and paying close attention to what was happening, I became convinced something was moving inside the kickr....then I discovered this thread about the knocking issue.

The knock was the only issue I noticed with my unit.

K118 Kit
20181029_205645.jpg
Its the now known K118 kit, very easy to sort. These are the parts for the kit . I also do one more little step to ensure fixed pulley

Attachments

• K118 driven key replacement (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 350
Top Bottom