Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Crikey, I was close to pulling the trigger on one of these with the plan of getting a climb next year, perhaps I'll wait a while and see how things pan out :ohmy: I hope all those with problems get them dealt with to their satisfaction! It seems an awful lot of money to part with to be greeted with such fundamental design flaws :wacko:

Milzy

Guru
Crikey, I was close to pulling the trigger on one of these with the plan of getting a climb next year, perhaps I'll wait a while and see how things pan out :ohmy: I hope all those with problems get them dealt with to their satisfaction! It seems an awful lot of money to part with to be greeted with such fundamental design flaws :wacko:
You should buy the TacX Neo 2 & you will be as happy as an Otter with a river full of fish.

Klavan88

Maybe tempting fate here, but I believe Ive fixed my Kickr'18 of vibration issues. Im not going to post the work involved yet. Ill test it for a few weeks to fully satisfy myself Ive made a good repair.

The work to solve this is quite involved and not for the non practical (Bob) :smile:

If anyone is suffering with flywheel vibration and wants to know how to remedy this themselves, send a PM. Ill give you a brief of what you need to do to solve it. Then its upto you whether you want to attempt it.

Suffice to say I expect there are going to be quite a few returns to Wahoo in the long run

Andy, can you PM me? Seems I can't PM you, how did you solve flywheel vibration? Thanks!

ozlinzee

As the Neo 2 is only just hitting shelfs how do we know that there won't be niggles with it once people have stuck a few miles on it
Yep thinking that way too. After going through four Kickr's on a trainer that had a good history I'm reluctant to go for another new release trainer. Looking at a Neo 1 this week at a discount and maybe trade up to a Neo 2 at a later date.
The Neo 2 won't be available here I Australia for another month or more here in Australia anyway.

luc4

Regular
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have found it due to the problem on my Kickr 2018. Not so noisy as the examples above but still not that silent as advertised and reviewed by many reviewers.
I've to say that customer care was pretty fine! I'm waiting now for the shipped replacement when I still keep training on the "noisy" sample (which i'll send it back once the replacement is up and running). So no dead period for indoor training at least... only a bit noisy training...
My doubt now is following: what should I do with the new unit I'll get? Andy what you suggest? Do you think this unit (it was shipped friday last week) is already implementing the solution you have proposed to Wahoo? If not could you please send me a PM with instructions what to do (in case after setting up this new trainer it results again more noisy than expected).
Thanks for your advises!
Cheers from Italy,
Luca

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You can check behind the cowling to see if it has the black bolt on the bottom pulley. That would indicate that the Knocking noise mod has been done. If the belt squeaks loudly you could try and slacken off belt a few turns of the allen adjustment bolt. There are instructions K118 i posted on here recently. Read it, it is clear explanation of what to do if you were to change the bolt. Its unlikely that new stock hasnt been modified, so hopefully everything will be good.

I too are expecting a new Kickr soon . I did a fair bit of work and reported it back to Wahoo. It helped but wasnt perfect, hence why Im getting another turbo

luc4

Regular
You can check behind the cowling to see if it has the black bolt on the bottom pulley. That would indicate that the Knocking noise mod has been done. If the belt squeaks loudly you could try and slacken off belt a few turns of the allen adjustment bolt. There are instructions K118 i posted on here recently. Read it, it is clear explanation of what to do if you were to change the bolt. Its unlikely that new stock hasnt been modified, so hopefully everything will be good.

I too are expecting a new Kickr soon . I did a fair bit of work and reported it back to Wahoo. It helped but wasnt perfect, hence why Im getting another turbo

Hi Andy,
thanks for your reply! Then first of all I'll check for the bolt... I'll post you here with the info of which kind of Kickr I've got (new or old bolt...).
Let's keep finger crossed that issues are going then away! ;)

luc4

Regular

Hi Andy,
my Kickr replacement has arrived today... before doing anything I've opened it and... surprise surprise I do not see the "black bolt" that is mentioned in the instructions K118. Here I attach also a photo. The tension on the belt is pretty high...
What you think is the best step here? Should I contact Wahoo again mentioning them their own instruction how to replace the good bolt? And that this is not present on the one they have shipped to me? This sounds so awkward... :s
I wait for your valuable advices. And I'm curious which kind of Kickr you will get as replacement (with or without fixed bolt)...

Cheers,
Luca

Attachments

• IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 255

marginal

I received a new Core yesterday in Canada after a lengthy period of no availability where I assumed they were addressing the issue.
No black bolt.
Hopefully there is a factory fix in place with the regular bolt.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It looks like it hasn't been modified, so beware. You might have the same problems!! Try it out, you could be lucky and its faultless

Skitttles

I ran into this thread while trying to diagnose a different problem with my kickr core.

My unit was recieved by my bike shop on 11/8 and has the new black bolt installed, and judging by feel, the drive belt is looser than Andy described in the original post.

I'm not sure if this was always the case, but there is also now a cutout in the back that can be used to adjust the belt tension screw.

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 239

luc4

Regular
It looks like it hasn't been modified, so beware. You might have the same problems!! Try it out, you could be lucky and its faultless

Hi Andy, I'll give it a try sure. I'll keep you informed. Anyway I'll also try to check with wahoo customer care to understand if this has a factory repair and why the magic "black bolt" is not present on this replacement unit...

Top Bottom