Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine has the cut out for adjusting the tightness of the belt and the same colour bolts fitted ,I got mine the first week in October, just started to have problems with it now and it's got 587 miles on it
What's the first 5 numbers of you serial number
Mine is 40182

Last edited:

marginal

I ran into this thread while trying to diagnose a different problem with my kickr core.

My unit was recieved by my bike shop on 11/8 and has the new black bolt installed, and judging by feel, the drive belt is looser than Andy described in the original post.

I'm not sure if this was always the case, but there is also now a cutout in the back that can be used to adjust the belt tension screw.

I think the black bolt we're talking about would be the left-most one in your photo, which shows a silver bolt.

Skitttles

I think the black bolt we're talking about would be the left-most one in your photo, which shows a silver bolt.
Oops, you're right. I was looking at the top Bolt for the belt tension. This must be a difference between the kickr and the core. I havent had any problems yet and I'm about 120 miles in. I'll make sure to tighten that 9/16 bolt but fingers crossed they've already done it.

The reply I got was

1. Self-repair: you may service your current KICKR CORE yourself following these instructions. If selected, Wahoo Fitness will provide a $100 one-time-use discount code redeemable at www.wahoofitness.com for up to one year from the issue date.

2. Replacement with a new, tested unit: enter the queue to receive a brand new, tested unit.

Would they let me pay the extra and get the 2018 kickr do you think

Bliquid

I seem to be blessed with a Silent Kickr Core but wondering if anyone else experiences a slight rumbling feel through the cranks when putting down more power. It doesn’t really make much of a noise it’s just sort of a vibration feelback through the cranks. When it happens, it Feels a bit like that part of the pedal stroke is stuttery.
Struggling to describe any better, sorry, might just be a normal result of power transfer through a belt.
Thanks, Ben

I had a slight drone noise at first but followed the advise of Andy and then it was really quiet then at about 500 miles a little click appeared when the flywheel was slowing down then this got louder and I noticed that as the flywheel slowed I could feel a rhythmic vibration threw the seat post and handle bars there is now 624miles on it

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I had a slight drone noise at first but followed the advise of Andy and then it was really quiet then at about 500 miles a little click appeared when the flywheel was slowing down then this got louder and I noticed that as the flywheel slowed I could feel a rhythmic vibration threw the seat post and handle bars there is now 624miles on it

With the flywheel being heavier, I believe its more critical to get the dynamic balance absolutely spot on. The flywheel rotates between 2000-4000 rpm and typically around 3200-3500 rpm at 90-100 rpm cycling cadence. The bearings cant take the slight imbalance and wear rapidly resulting in a vibration which just gets louder.

Bliquid

Thanks. It seems to be more prominent when my cadence is barely fast enough to prevent me from freewheeling. More of a throbbing sensation through the cranks, I don’t really get much feedback when actually freewheeling.

luc4

Regular
Hi Guys,
updates from my side:
I've contacted the support and asked them what to do since it seems that the bolt was not replaced and therefore I was holding to mount the bike on the new unit. Here after the reply:

The unit you received is a certified Gold level tested unit, so don't worry. This means that the unit has been inspected and repaired. As far as the bolt issue goes, there's a little more to it than the bolt (there's also a replacement "key" for the lower pulley, and a replacement washer), and although they may look the same, they should not be the same. Additionally, your previous unit was not experiencing the bolt/key issue, but rather a different issue rooted in the main bearing of the unit. Regardless, we have replaced the unit with one that should be totally noise free. Please test the unit out and let us know if you hear anything strange with it. We will handle it immediately if anything seems "off" with the unit upon riding it.

So within this week I'll swap the bike to the new unit and I'll let you know!
Cheers,
Luca

Thanks to everyone for this thread! I bought a 2018 Wahoo KIKR V4 from Sports Basement 3 weeks ago. On the first ride I noticed that it was not very smooth and kind of a "clunky" noisy. I assumed it was my bike or a set-up issue. So I tried rear derailleur trim, checked spacing, new chain and new cassette. Still the "clunking" noise persisted on the next few rides, got worse and then started "clicking" as well. Same noises as reported on this thread. I called Sports Basement and they told me to bring it in the next morning. When I got there, the Wahoo sales manager just happened to be there delivering the new "repair kit" to the mechanic. He gave me some swag and said about 1% of the new KIKR's were affected but they did not know in advance which ones. The mechanic followed the documented procedure and replaced the Woodruft key and bolt on the bottom pulley; took about 30 minutes. See attached picture; old parts are in his hand. He left the pulley tension on the default factory setting. I put my bike back on the unit at the store and the noise was gone! I have ridden 4 hours at home since then and it is still smooth and quiet. Thanks to all for your help!

Attachments

• Wahoo_KIKR_Repair_1.jpg
    Wahoo_KIKR_Repair_1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 375

Bliquid

Thanks. It seems to be more prominent when my cadence is barely fast enough to prevent me from freewheeling. More of a throbbing sensation through the cranks, I don’t really get much feedback when actually freewheeling.

Update on this: sent a video to wahoo, they said it shouldn’t make the rumbling noise when freewheeling (didn’t really concern me too much but hey)
Getting a replacement ‘gold’ unit but there’s a queue forgetting one - anyone know what the waiting time is?
Oh and weirdly, the evening I sent the video I also started getting a squealing noise.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Update on this: sent a video to wahoo, they said it shouldn’t make the rumbling noise when freewheeling (didn’t really concern me too much but hey)
Getting a replacement ‘gold’ unit but there’s a queue forgetting one - anyone know what the waiting time is?
Oh and weirdly, the evening I sent the video I also started getting a squealing noise.

I was told a few weeks.

Top Bottom