Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bliquid

I was told a few weeks.
Bloody hell, they must be in serious trouble. Looks like they tried to get it all out in time for Christmas and now they're mopping up the consequences of their QC failings.
I'll update when I hear from Wahoo with an ETA (assuming they'll ever get back to me on that question).
I did try to call them twice yesterday but it just rang out.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Im not concerned, still using this kickr, just a bit noisy/vibration . A few weeks not the end of the world. I would rather they fully sorted issue before sending new one to me

luc4

Regular
"The queue time for a replacement is currently 3-5 days processing time + shipping, so generally I'd say it takes a week of real time."

FYI

I can confirm, my replacement took approx 1 week from the opening of the ticket.
First outcomes of riding the replaced unit are positive. No more noise while performing a spinndown.
I'll wait for some more kilometers to report back that the new unit (even if it looks like the original one, bolt and belt tension wise speaking) has no noise issue.

Creatorex

Hi, I have this noise. Is this the one fixeable with the screw and key kit? It happens since yesterday and it's no the hole time, it begins some time after begining training and comes and goes randomly.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi, I have this noise. Is this the one fixeable with the screw and key kit? It happens since yesterday and it's no the hole time, it begins some time after begining training and comes and goes randomly.

If you push the flywheel by hand, if its silent then the key kit should sort it

Creatorex

If you push the flywheel by hand, if its silent then the key kit should sort it
Hi, I have also vibration... So I guess is a bearing issue too? If you look at the washers wahoo is using it looks poor quality. Those washers are deformed. The one fixing the tension bearing and the one in the center of the flying well. When moving by hand I don reach which power or speeds, so I don't get the noise not vibrations... Let's see what wahoo responds to me. I claimed the 30 days return policy. As per feel very unconfident.

If anyone has my issues in regards with noise and vibration please let me know your experience and if you got an acceptable solution.

Thanks, B.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
There are two main issues, clunking/knocking/creaking whilst pedalling. Woodruff kit will sort these.

The other is vibration/drone .which is most likely caused by imbalance in the heavy flywheel. This issue can be mild to quite severe in vibration and noise

Creatorex

There are two main issues, clunking/knocking/creaking whilst pedalling. Woodruff kit will sort these.

The other is vibration/drone .which is most likely caused by imbalance in the heavy flywheel. This issue can be mild to quite severe in vibration and noise

I checked flywheel balance and it's ok. I played with belt tension and trying with another screws and washers. The case is that I set it back and by tightening the flywheel belt screw with it's original Screw and deformed washer strongly it improves. But still high speed vibration (softer than before).

For flywheel check I did remove belt and after rolling it stops shoftly and doesn't go back despite of moving it clockwise or counter clockwise... So sincerely, I miss how they designed something which should be industrially simple getting this kind of issues. It reflects that the quality checks are a mess in this process...

Last edited:

Sweetman

Regular
Hi all, first time poster. A shout out to Wahoo for bringing me to this site. So I stopped by the LBS to demo a Kickr on display. Rode it for a bit on zwift and was really impressed with how quiet it was. The smoothness was so nice, light years ahead of my old fluid trainer. I ended up purchasing a couple of Cores from them (they had a slight discount , how could I refuse!) for the missus and myself.

I took the first one out of the box and lets just say I was less than thrilled with the QC at wahoo. It was nothing like the machine I demo'd. Just spinning the flywheel by hand resulted in this annoying, grating sound. Closer inspection revealed the belt was rubbing on the cover. You could gently flex the cover and it would fix the issue but it would just return and continue to rub. Being the tinkerer I am, off came the belt cover and a small square of haevy poster paper was added between the frame and cover. It was the perfect spacer to have the cover clear the belt. Its a half arse fix but whatever, no one can see it and only I know it's there.

That's when I noticed the belt was tightened to banjo string tight. It seemed completely unnecessary for the belt to be that tight being that we're just puny humans with puny human strength. A little google searching about Wahoo Core issues and here I am. There is a whole wealth of good info here for sure. I ended up taking everything apart. I pulled off the flywheel off so I could check that there were no issues with the bearings, both spun smooth with my fingers with no roughness. There was debris on the electromagnets and inside of the flywheel that I cleaned up. Looks like I have the old style bolt and key as well. Oh, and I know they're very close in size but I'm pretty sure it's a 14mm, not 9/16 bolt. Just for fun I left the bolt finger tight and it knocks like a champ when the pulley is spun. I tightened the bolt to about 8 ft/lbs with some blue locktite and I used a 2mm allen to tighten the set screw on the flywheel pulley which wasn't even tightened to begin with. My guess is tightening the set screw locks the pulley to the key and prevents it from moving.

After all that, the Core is mostly silent at speed. I spun it up in the 53-11 to what I would say is 35 mph and there is some whining noise but it's mostly obscured by the freewheel noise. The balance isn't perfect but I guess it's not too bad. At ludicrous speeds there's some slight buzzing in the seat but at 20-25mph it's minimal. Another noise that I would notice at speeds was this frump, frump, frump sound that seemed to follow the diameter of the pulley. After searching around, I believe the noise comes from the ever so slight raises on the back off the belt where it's fused when it rolls across the idler pulley. The sound pretty much goes away when you take all the tension off the belt.

So after all that with the first Kickr, I unbox the second one. It's just about perfect. No rubbing belt, no clunks, no whirring noises, bolts tight, and the belt was what I would say to be properly tensioned. Really makes me question the disparity of QC of the two machines. I have to laugh at what I read above about "properly tensioned belt" from the factory. I'm just a backyard hack when it comes to mechanics but simply plucking the belts tells you that in no way were those belts even remotely close in tension.

Last edited:

floriansantana

Hey, I found this thread when I started experiencing vibration problems and a strange rattling on my new Kickr Core. I took a video of it:

Is this a known problem? Or do I need to look for something else? It was ridden for 10 days with no problems at all and from one day to another it started doing this. Shifting is set up and adjusted, so the noise does not come from the bike. The silent knocking or rattling is also there when I move the flywheel by hand without a bike on the trainer.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hey, I found this thread when I started experiencing vibration problems and a strange rattling on my new Kickr Core. I took a video of it:

Is this a known problem? Or do I need to look for something else? It was ridden for 10 days with no problems at all and from one day to another it started doing this. Shifting is set up and adjusted, so the noise does not come from the bike. The silent knocking or rattling is also there when I move the flywheel by hand without a bike on the trainer.

Yes, it has been noted by others. Contact Wahoo, they will replace it, or ask for a refund

floriansantana

Yes, it has been noted by others. Contact Wahoo, they will replace it, or ask for a refund

Thanks for your answer and all the support in this thread.

Just for my the record: my problem is probably the issue known as the drone/vibration problem, right? So the repair kit won’t do anything against it.

Thanks in advance.

JoshArgh

Hi - joined this forum just to say thanks to CXRAndy and everyone else's helpful info.

My new KICKR Core developed an extremely several clicking/thunking sound, similar to other videos posted here.

I removed the cowl, removed the pulley bolt, and using a screwdriver as a punch, hammered the woodrow key about 5mm back into place. Problem fixed, noise completely gone - for now.

I submitted a support ticket anyway. The key will eventually work its way loose again; might as well have them send me the upgraded bits.

A few notes:

1) I didn't find it necessary to remove the belt, as shown in some of the videos.
2) My tensioner was set by the factory near the max - moved all the way up. Not sure what role, if any, this plays in the wobbly pulley problem.
3) I see that the woodrow key is a very soft metal. I wonder if some of them contracted in the cold, reducing snugness/effectiveness? Note that the problem began widespread when the weather cooled, in October. It would be interesting if the problem was more prevalent in colder regions.
4) I'm stymied as to why three (3!!!!) different fastener types were used to secure the cowl.

CXRAndy - you said you might have more/updated information to post, is that still true?

-Josh

Top Bottom