Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
interested in this thread as im literally hovering over purchasing one... hoping the newer batch are all fixed...

JhnBssll

Veteran
40184500xxx - be interesting to know if it's an early or later one.

I've just updated the firmware and calibrated it, not used it in anger yet though. Did get a bit of vibration on calibration spin up at the top end, not sure if that's normal so will see what its like after a few proper uses :okay:

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Seems fine, just done 70 minutes on it with no discernable noise. Quite impressive really, although in erg mode on a workout its not really testing it too hard. I noticed the power transitions were a lot smoother than on my tacx vortex and I didn't have to shift to achieve any big power and cadence swings which I have had to do in the past... I'll be sure to post if anything changes. A hundred dollar voucher would be useful to put towards a climb... :laugh:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Im into a week of training on my second Kickr and

It seems to be fine, smooth, quiet. no squeaking belt or drone-yet!
:biggrin:

Yeah, but isn’t it over reading power? Best do an advanced spin down:okay:

pocaris

I received my 18 key replacement kit and have a question: how to remove the surrounding pulley which attaches to the flywheel axle?
It is to the right shown on right in image below.
I tried to use a hammer without any luck.
caa5dc58-826f-45e9-a061-49ae40a9efc5.png

8f5e1cda-8f6c-4ec7-9578-f926f3b75bec.png

Last edited:

Sweetman

Regular
Well I am happy with Wahoo's customer service. I received the replacement Kickr core on Saturday, just one week after I filed the claim. They were very responsive and did a great job to see I was satisfied with the product.

I assembled it that evening and gave the flywheel a spin by hand. Everything was silent, yay! I still pulled the cover off to check the belt tension and it was pretty darn tight. I couildn't help it, I just had to tinker, so I added some slack to the belt and also checked the tightness of the flywheel bolt. The bolt was most certainly tight. I threw the bike on the Core and gave it a quick spin to calibrate it and update the firmware to 1.06 . There still is some vibration at ridiculous speeds but I find it to be acceptable. Normal (20mph) speeds it's smooth.

Sunday morning, I put an hour on it and so far so good. It linked right up to Zwift and I was pedaling shortly after. I really do like how these things are so quiet. All you hear is a slight hum from the machine which is mostly obscured by the drivetrain noise.

I do have a Quarq powermeter on the bike which is fun to check the accuracy between the two. So after my ride the Kickr gave me a 229 watt average and NP of 248 watts on Strava. The quarq was 228 watts with an NP of 246. Just a smidge lower but I'm fine with that. It gets me up the virtual hills just a little quicker, haha. As long as it stays consistent, I'm happy.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I received my 18 key replacement kit and have a question: how to remove the surrounding pulley which attaches to the flywheel axle?
It is to the right shown on right in image below.
I tried to use a hammer without any luck. View attachment 442922

View attachment 442924

If its tight on the shaft, dont lever it. It is alloy and will be damaged. Have you got a powerful hairdryer? Heat up the pulley and it should expand more quickly than the shaft. PROTECT the plastic around the pulley from excessive heat!!!
Good luck

Sweetman

Regular
Update:
I had my second workout on the replacement Core this morning. Still solid, no noises or dropouts. Power is consistent too. The Wahoo numbers were 225 ave, 256 NP and the Quarq was 223 ave, 254 NP. One thing I did notice was on the higher wattage efforts there was about a 5 watt difference, the Kickr was holding at 350 on 2 min efforts and the Quarq averaged 344-345. Don't know which to believe but it is consistent which I guess is the most important thing.

Top Bottom