Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
My solution didn't provide long term result. The bearings on the flywheel are failing prematurely hence noise, followed by noise with vibration. I've now requested my money back and bought a Tacx. Its a shame really I really like Wahoo products and had the 2014 Kickr for 4 years without a problem.
That's a real shame Andy - thanks for highlighting the problems on here as I was about to buy a kickr and I'm particularly glad I didn't now.

So are you getting a Neo 2?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
So are you getting a Neo 2?

Its very good, no its excellent and quiet/smooth. Slightly different to use in ERG mode, where it has a less strict control over power if you drift too far off target,so requires a little more concentration.
If you do use ERG Paul, I suggest you use the inner chainring, because the Neo doesnt have the torque control whilst using big chainring unlike the Kickr. Racing feel was at first noticeable how quickly I could increase power compared to the Kickr-but I've forgotten that now. Both are equal with power readings, well it feels that way. 1/2 % nothing really.
Its nice looking and now I've secured it to the rocker properly I wont fall off :laugh:

SprotbroBenz

@CXRAndy and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.
Thanks for your input over the last couple of months. I bought a Kickr 2018 (Serial Number 01182500481) last September and soon started to experience the difficulties detailed in these pages. I embarked on the tortuous returns procedure within two weeks of my first use of the device and eventually received a refund from my supplier (Wiggle) despite having requested a replacement. I fired off a grumpy email to Wiggle pointing out that I had asked for a replacement unit but, in retrospect, I'm grateful to Tim J at Wiggle Support for keeping me out of the Receive - Reject - Return - Replace loop that many others have endured. I'm really disappointed because my previous Kickr 2016 had been (and, for the new owner, continues to be) flawless and had generated some misplaced brand loyalty in me. My son and I have been using a CycleOps Fluid 2 with a Stages G3 L power meter for the last couple of months while we have been watching and waiting for some evidence that Wahoo's revised production and QC procedures are leading to a decline in the rate of failure of the Kickr 2018. This does not seem to be imminent so, like Andy, I'm off to my LBS to buy a Tacx device. It will be a bonus if the rumour of a Neo 2 / Kickr Climb interface proves to be correct somewhere down the road.

Velochris

Über Member
My replacement Kickr arrived today, only about 1 week after agreeing to a replacement.

Before using I was interested to see if it was fitted with the correct parts.

Unfortunately, both two of the screws on the cover are completetly rounded so it is not possible to check.

Very poor from Wahoo and will now be looking elsewhere.

I have had 3 Kickr cores and each one had a problem ,I finally returned the 3rd one on Friday ,they received it today and refunded me straight away , I have now bought a Neo which I am hoping to collect tuesday

Last edited:

Velochris

Über Member
Its very good, no its excellent and quiet/smooth. Slightly different to use in ERG mode, where it has a less strict control over power if you drift too far off target,so requires a little more concentration.
If you do use ERG Paul, I suggest you use the inner chainring, because the Neo doesnt have the torque control whilst using big chainring unlike the Kickr. Racing feel was at first noticeable how quickly I could increase power compared to the Kickr-but I've forgotten that now. Both are equal with power readings, well it feels that way. 1/2 % nothing really.
Its nice looking and now I've secured it to the rocker properly I wont fall off :laugh:

How have you found it riding steep slopes on Zwift etc?

What has always put me off the Neo is the "virtual tyre slip" experienced when you quickly hammer down on a steep climb.

I train on a lot of mountain routes/hilly Zwift routes and have a tendency to stomp on the pedals a bit to get over / up some climbs.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

What has always put me off the Neo is the "virtual tyre slip" experienced when you quickly hammer down on a steep climb.

I train on a lot of mountain routes/hilly Zwift routes and have a tendency to stomp on the pedals a bit to get over / up some climbs.

I've never used either my Kickr or Neo above 50%. I haven't experienced this slip, Im not saying it's not there. I probably wont experience this going forward because I will be running trainer difficulty around 10% or less. I can make my power from seated rpm.

I can tell you that when the Neo is asleep, if I spin the pedals by hand, there is no resistance for a split second, after that resistance is constant. The Neo has a 'virtual' flywheel weight of 125kg. In real terms it has a quite lightweight flywheel which is controlled by many electromagnets around the circumference . Maybe its lag you describe, but it would only be very brief.

Try a dumb direct drivefluid trainer with a crank or pedal power meter. This would give a constant smooth resistance, which stomping pedals couldn't overcome.

kmaharry

My solution didn't provide long term result. The bearings on the flywheel are failing prematurely hence noise, followed by noise with vibration. I've now requested my money back and bought a Tacx. Its a shame really I really like Wahoo products and had the 2014 Kickr for 4 years without a problem.

Just curious, does loosening the tension bolt fixes the issue? I followed your instruction on loosening the tension and changed to new woodruff key. So far the drone noise/vibration disappeared.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just curious, does loosening the tension bolt fixes the issue? I followed your instruction on loosening the tension and changed to new woodruff key. So far the drone noise/vibration disappeared.

I hope it stays that way. The high tension doesn't help but, I found out after a short while the problems came back. Hopefully yours will be fine . ive got my returns no now and will be shipping back my two Kickrs soon

bobinski

Legendary Member

Not everyone experiences it and that may be down to use of the technique you describe. I think I did just the once chasing a pb up the tower at 100% but even then I am not sure because I was changing gear .for a tiny minority it’s a deal breaker and I hope not for you.

TWitko

Well, let me share my experience with Kickr 2018.

I bought it three months ago and have 1.200 km on it for now. It had a slight clicking sound from the beginning, but nothing serious, so I decided to "live with it". Later (months or so) "drone" sound appeared (or I believe it's what people call drone sound). Buzzing and vibrations (I can literally feel the vibration through my bike) - some of them really strong. Very unpleasant ... appeared mostly in higher speeds (downhill + pedaling). So I didn't pedal while downhill and try to keep my speed as low as possible. Stupid and unpleasant, but can live with it. Later those vibrations came even in lower speeds ... let's say above 20km/h. Sometimes, not always ... some downhills were real PIA .. even I didn't pedal, my bike was vibrating like a hell .. strong sound all around .. I'm lucky I live in my own house as can't imagine to use it in apartments

And recently, something new comes .. new sound .. "scrub" ... only when speed is really slow ... like climbing. It means I can't climb (slow speed) because of "scrub". I can't ride downhill because of "drone sound" ... SH*T ... and it becomes worse and worse every day ... this piece of crap is "dying"

Here is the example of my new "scrub" Wahoo sound ..

View: https://youtu.be/Ys8UndGs0c0

I regret the day I have heard Wahoo name ... and really regret the day I saw some Ytb videos with reviewers stating Wahoo is "rock solid". Don't get me wrong .. I don't blame those guys ... maybe it was rock solid, but it is NOT nowadays ... If you can, stay away from Wahoo as far as you can. Don't touch it even with long long pole ...

P.S. sorry if I'm rude, but it really pi**es me off ....

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Well I received the shipping notice for my replacement kickr18. It is coming from Holland so should be here by Monday or Tuesday of next week. So about 10 days since I notified them of the issue.

@TWitko call or email wahoo support. They are aware of the issue and they are getting these turned round fairly quickly :smile:, although sometimes the replacements have issues as well :sad:.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Well, let me share my experience with Kickr 2018.

I bought it three months ago and have 1.200 km on it for now. It had a slight clicking sound from the beginning, but nothing serious, so I decided to "live with it". Later (months or so) "drone" sound appeared (or I believe it's what people call drone sound). Buzzing and vibrations (I can literally feel the vibration through my bike) - some of them really strong. Very unpleasant ... appeared mostly in higher speeds (downhill + pedaling). So I didn't pedal while downhill and try to keep my speed as low as possible. Stupid and unpleasant, but can live with it. Later those vibrations came even in lower speeds ... let's say above 20km/h. Sometimes, not always ... some downhills were real PIA .. even I didn't pedal, my bike was vibrating like a hell .. strong sound all around .. I'm lucky I live in my own house as can't imagine to use it in apartments

And recently, something new comes .. new sound .. "scrub" ... only when speed is really slow ... like climbing. It means I can't climb (slow speed) because of "scrub". I can't ride downhill because of "drone sound" ... SH*T ... and it becomes worse and worse every day ... this piece of crap is "dying"

Here is the example of my new "scrub" Wahoo sound ..

View: https://youtu.be/Ys8UndGs0c0

I regret the day I have heard Wahoo name ... and really regret the day I saw some Ytb videos with reviewers stating Wahoo is "rock solid". Don't get me wrong .. I don't blame those guys ... maybe it was rock solid, but it is NOT nowadays ... If you can, stay away from Wahoo as far as you can. Don't touch it even with long long pole ...

P.S. sorry if I'm rude, but it really pi**es me off ....

Contact Wahoo, They will offer you a replacement or your money back if you bought it direct. Else return it to supplier for refund. Wahoo do make great products, but have regrettably dropped the ball with QC on their latest Kickr/Core trainer

Top Bottom