Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
My new unit has been ordered, I'm told it'll be about a week until it's dispatched. I noticed on Sunday my current core has a fairly constant low frequency vibration now which I can feel through the pedals. I had pins and needles in my foot after half an hour or so, I suspect it's connected. Not ideal but looks like I won't have to put up with it for long :okay:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
My new unit has been ordered, I'm told it'll be about a week until it's dispatched. I noticed on Sunday my current core has a fairly constant low frequency vibration now which I can feel through the pedals. I had pins and needles in my foot after half an hour or so, I suspect it's connected. Not ideal but looks like I won't have to put up with it for long :okay:
:sad:.

Just starting to run mine in. Done about 35k so far over 2 sessions. Nothing major to report at this time. :unsure:

Sweetman

Regular
Update #2:
Have about 1000km on the replacement core and mechanically, it's solid. Still as silent as on the maiden voyage. No vibrations to report.
The last two rides I did have a connection issue during the first minute of riding. The cadence and then the power would drop out for about 15 seconds leaving me stranded on the side of the road. Then it would reconnect and off I went with no further dropouts. I have many devices transmitting at the same time: Garmin Edge 500, Quarq, Garmin cadence sensor, speed sensor, the missus's Kickr and cadence sensor, so it could just be cross talk or maybe the cadence sensor could be dropping out confusing the Kickr. Who knows but it's a minor issue. Will report if the problem gets worse.

Ann's Kickr has about 900km and other than three stickers flying off the flywheel, no problems.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Kickr's we have.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Good to hear the replacement is doing well. Mine has been dispatched and I have a tracking number :okay: Which is handy as the vibrations get worse with every ride :laugh: No noise though so thats something at least :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
My replacement is in a box in the hallway now, it arrived at lunchtime. Very quick service, I'm impressed! At some point today I'll get it set up and put the old one back in it's box ready to return :okay: Fingers crossed this one's a goodun ^_^

Gabriel muller

Hey guys. I had a similar issue than you guys after around 20h of riding on the first unit. I've sent it back and the new one developed the same issue at around the same time. I use the "full" wahoo setup (with the climb). I don't wish to keep going with a 2018 kickr as it's headache after headache but I still wish to use the Kickr Climb (therefore other brands aren't an option). What's my solution on this? Get a 2017? Are these units reliable?

theboxers

I've just started watching this, about 2 minutes in and mainly intro.

Edit to add

TD : DW

The above is a bit of a 'Mea Culpa' from Wahoo.

We changed the design to improve stuff and in the process broke other stuff. It was caught, a solution was found and put in place for all subsequent production units. Then the solution was offered out to customers to self install if they desired.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
20181102_081355.jpg
20181102_081209.jpg
I've been refunded now so have no issues posting what damage to my Kickr 18 had suffered after about 4-6 weeks use.

This is for vibration noise. not the clunking caused by the Woodruff key being loose

The damage is some sort of 'fretting' corrosion, debris particles inside. I cleaned up the shaft but it revealed this. New bearings didn't cure tbe issue for long.
I hope Wahoo get to tbe bottom of the issues

Attachments

• 20181103_084852.jpg
    20181103_084852.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

theboxers

View attachment 448405 View attachment 448406 I've been refunded now so have no issues posting what damage to my Kickr 18 had suffered after about 4-6 weeks use.

This is for vibration noise. not the clunking caused by the Woodruff key being loose

The damage is some sort of 'fretting' corrosion, debris particles inside. I cleaned up the shaft but it revealed this. New bearings didn't cure tbe issue for long.
:eek: Holy shiv! That's what my FSA crank looked like when I pulled it out due to sweat induced corrosion.

Having said that, is that only one bearing or is there another the other side?

I just thought what would a company like Apple or Samsung do in a similar situation?

Velochris

Über Member
View attachment 448405 View attachment 448406 I've been refunded now so have no issues posting what damage to my Kickr 18 had suffered after about 4-6 weeks use.

What do you think caused it?

I had two 2018 versions returned. My 2016 version then started squeeling. In is out of warranty but in fairness they are posting me a reconditioned (with the new key etc) 2018 with 3 months warranty.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
What do you think caused it?

I had two 2018 versions returned. My 2016 version then started squeeling. In is out of warranty but in fairness they are posting me a reconditioned (with the new key etc) 2018 with 3 months warranty.

difficult to say, as my attempts to resolve it didn't work very long. I initially thought the belt was very tight causing stress on the bearings. Then my attention turned to the flywheel be slightly out of dynamic balance. The flywheel rotates at over 3000rpm when pedalling fast in a high gear. I suspect its a combination of maybe the two, which starts the noise and as the shaft becomes more damaged the noise turns into a vibration.

Top Bottom