Wahoo Silent Kickr/Kickr Core Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
difficult to say, as my attempts to resolve it didn't work very long. I initially thought the belt was very tight causing stress on the bearings. Then my attention turned to the flywheel be slightly out of dynamic balance. The flywheel rotates at over 3000rpm when pedalling fast in a high gear. I suspect its a combination of maybe the two, which starts the noise and as the shaft becomes more damaged the noise turns into a vibration.

3000rpm isn't exactly fast although I suspect the dynamic balance is the main culprit here. We produce electric motors on site here and we balance each rotor individually but they run at ~30k rpm, it's quite possible at the low speeds the flywheel runs at they've tried to get away without balancing individual units and relied on production tolerances keeping things in check... That would be my guess.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
A new problem for wahoo? Not mine I hasten to add from DCR's kickr18/Core post, comment #1 and #2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zt9dwiwez4aala/IMG_1716_HEVC.MOV

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01...issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html

Last edited:

rewop

I have a Kickr V4 which had a bad harmonic vibration through a couple of different speed ranges. It was very apparent during a spin down where the whole bike used to shake violently whilst winding down. I have had no issues with whining or excessive noise as reported by other users. I removed the flywheel and had it professionally balanced where another 9 grams of additional mass was removed to achieve a balance. It is now a massive improvement over what came out of the box from new. I would suggest the increase in flywheel mass and speed over the V3 version together with poor factory balancing precision has magnified my vibration issue as this wasn't a problem on my V3 Kickr. I really don’t think I should have had to spend another $600 on correcting a factory QC error on a “premium” trainer, however, I could never see Wahoo coming to the party over a vibration issue, as the trainer was still functional. In hindsight, I should have stayed with my V3 as it saw many Km's without issue.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a Kickr V4 which had a bad harmonic vibration through a couple of different speed ranges. It was very apparent during a spin down where the whole bike used to shake violently whilst winding down. I have had no issues with whining or excessive noise as reported by other users. I removed the flywheel and had it professionally balanced where another 9 grams of additional mass was removed to achieve a balance. It is now a massive improvement over what came out of the box from new. I would suggest the increase in flywheel mass and speed over the V3 version together with poor factory balancing precision has magnified my vibration issue as this wasn't a problem on my V3 Kickr. I really don’t think I should have had to spend another $600 on correcting a factory QC error on a “premium” trainer, however, I could never see Wahoo coming to the party over a vibration issue, as the trainer was still functional. In hindsight, I should have stayed with my V3 as it saw many Km's without issue.

Wahoo have refunded me and others for vibration issues.

Its great to know that someone has been able to improve and probably eliminate the vibration with a professional balancing process.:okay: 9 grams you say

Did you notice when you removed the flywheel any metal swarf or brown powder. Also damage to the bearing contact points on the shaft like in my photos?

Velochris

Über Member

Was it really $600 to have it balanced?

I removed the flywheel on my first 2018 Kickr and noticed they had machined out some cavities, which I presumed were to balance the wheel. When I spun it without a belt it would settle in random places so didn't appear out of balance. However, a tiny imbalance would not show at that speed but would under high revs.

My replacement has a new key fitted which I presume they have installed with Loctite. I cannot remove the pulley, so cannot remove the flywheel even if I wanted to. I believe they are adding Loctite to all refurbished units which would add a further long term repair issue for the bearing the flywheel shaft sits on.

All that said mine haven't had any vibration issues, just that a high pitch squeel in certain circumstances.

rewop

Did you notice when you removed the flywheel any metal swarf or brown powder. Also damage to the bearing contact points on the shaft like in my photos?
No. Bearings are in as new condition ans still feel fine. No fretting or excessive movement of the bearings on the shaft or the housing. Pulley and keyway were both all snug with no movement. Varying belt tensions didn't seem to change the vibration issues I experienced. My flywheel seemed fine spinning by hand but I doubt I would have detected 9 grams of imbalance especially with bearing friction. At 4000 rpm, 9 grams makes a difference.
Was it really $600 to have it balanced?
I paid $600 all up including freighting the flywheel both ways. I had cheaper quotations for the actual balancing but the freight component knocked them out.
It is disappointing. I believe the Kickr is a very robust built trainer, the mounting and legs are absolutely bombproof. Unfortunately (and more so for a "premium" trainer) it has been let down by a few QC niggles which should have been rectified before release.

TWitko

Let me update my "Kickr18 story" .. I'm sorry I'm late, but I was waiting until my issue has been definitely solved. In my previous post #221 I mentioned strange squealing sound coming from my Kickr18. I dismantled the unit and found this :

1) the squeal could be solved by greasing inside side of the belt (of course just a little bit, tiny amount). I know the greasing the belt can sound odd, but it worked. Not sure what happened there, but probably some "side movement" of pulley and belt's friction .. thus grease helps. After some time the squeal reappeared and I had to regrease.

but more important ...

2) I found the flywheel's axle in the same bad shape as CXRAndy published already. To be frank, my one was a little bit better - not so much rust ... but definitely, it was far from a clean, nicely machined product. Also, I found some rusty dirt inside. The bearings - I'm not an expert, but for my humble old eyes the bearing's housing was too large (just a little) - there was tiny "freeplay" between housing and bearing. I'm not sure how serious this issue was (or could be) - just my observation.

Definitely, the quality of the product doesn't seem to be appropriate with what You'd expect for 1.200 Eur trainer (just my 2 cents).

I cleaned the whole area - removed dust, put some grease on bearings ... it was all I could do (or I was willing to do). I assembled the unit and tried to use it again. For some (short) time it was OK, but then again - vibrations and ... something "new" (new for me) .. infamous clicking sound. Stronger and stronger every day, every ride.

To make a long story short, after several days all issues became quite serious - clicking, vibrating and sometimes squealing ... NO fun at all to use. Literally, the unit was dead. I contacted my supplier (not Wahoo) with the complaint about my Kickr - asking return/full refund. I sent the unit back to them (they paid the postage) and even though I owned trainer for almost 3 months and had (guess) 1.700km on it, they complied with my request - they accepted the return and they've refunded the whole amount (great company - awesome service, as usual - Bike24.com).

I bought Tacx Neo2 and this is "Day and Night" ... silent, smooth as silk, everything works flawlessly (knocking on the wood). I consider "Wahoo experience" as a closed chapter ...

TWitko
.. sorry for my poor English

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Let me update my "Kickr18 story" .. I'm sorry I'm late, but I was waiting until my issue has been definitely solved. In my previous post #221 I mentioned strange squealing sound coming from my Kickr18. I dismantled the unit and found this :

1) the squeal could be solved by greasing inside side of the belt (of course just a little bit, tiny amount). I know the greasing the belt can sound odd, but it worked. Not sure what happened there, but probably some "side movement" of pulley and belt's friction .. thus grease helps. After some time the squeal reappeared and I had to regrease.

but more important ...

2) I found the flywheel's axle in the same bad shape as CXRAndy published already. To be frank, my one was a little bit better - not so much rust ... but definitely, it was far from a clean, nicely machined product. Also, I found some rusty dirt inside. The bearings - I'm not an expert, but for my humble old eyes the bearing's housing was too large (just a little) - there was tiny "freeplay" between housing and bearing. I'm not sure how serious this issue was (or could be) - just my observation.

Definitely, the quality of the product doesn't seem to be appropriate with what You'd expect for 1.200 Eur trainer (just my 2 cents).

I cleaned the whole area - removed dust, put some grease on bearings ... it was all I could do (or I was willing to do). I assembled the unit and tried to use it again. For some (short) time it was OK, but then again - vibrations and ... something "new" (new for me) .. infamous clicking sound. Stronger and stronger every day, every ride.

To make a long story short, after several days all issues became quite serious - clicking, vibrating and sometimes squealing ... NO fun at all to use. Literally, the unit was dead. I contacted my supplier (not Wahoo) with the complaint about my Kickr - asking return/full refund. I sent the unit back to them (they paid the postage) and even though I owned trainer for almost 3 months and had (guess) 1.700km on it, they complied with my request - they accepted the return and they've refunded the whole amount (great company - awesome service, as usual - Bike24.com).

I bought Tacx Neo2 and this is "Day and Night" ... silent, smooth as silk, everything works flawlessly (knocking on the wood). I consider "Wahoo experience" as a closed chapter ...

TWitko
.. sorry for my poor English

Exactly the same issues i had. I replaced the bearing and used loctite yellow to hold bearings in loose housing, but ultimately failed to cure problems. Im on Neo2 now

harrry

Hi CXRAndy,
i also bought a Neo2 after failed kickr18, but there are vibrations too, especially at higher watts.
Almost with every pedalling...

Do you have the same issue? Any advice to get them away?
Thanks a lot in advance!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi CXRAndy,
i also bought a Neo2 after failed kickr18, but there are vibrations too, especially at higher watts.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Im Im sorry my Neo2 has so far been very smooth. If you're using Zwift, the Neo can simulate road surface, but I doubt its that. The other could be the cassette. I remember the cassette Wahoo supplied with the Kickr was terrible for noise.

JayUK74

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered earlier, but I could not find it

Does anyone have the dimensions of the new woodruff key supplied to fix the issue with the Kickr Core?

Cheers,

J.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered earlier, but I could not find it

Does anyone have the dimensions of the new woodruff key supplied to fix the issue with the Kickr Core?

Cheers,

J.

I dont think ive got the exact measurement but i know its 0.1mm wider to make it a snug fit-measured with Vernier gauge

bobinski

Legendary Member
Hi CXRAndy,

Thanks a lot in advance!
If you are on FB join the neo users group. It’s a good resource with sound files for common noises to identify and solve any problems. Tacx are fairly active there too.

harrry

extractor tool, cleaning inside, no effect. bought a dura ace cassette and chain, no effect.
seems to be a common issue due to other comments and normal.

not bad, but disturbing.

with some it seems to run completely without vibrations. congratulations to them:smile:...

JhnBssll

Veteran
I almost posted in here a few days ago to say my replacement Kickr is working fine with no issues after several hundred kms... Of course it started vibrating today :angry::laugh:

I'm about to contact customer services again to let them know the good news :okay::rolleyes:

Top Bottom